Gibson Brands Forums

AJ-200S, bone or no bone?

trossit

Hi..I just bought a new Epi AJ-200S from GC. It sounds great and I am very happy with her. I do have a question, the saddle looks like bone (or at least the color does). Is this plastic or could Epi have slipped a few bone saddles in on this AJs from China? When the saddle is dropped on a hard surface it has a bright tink sound much like Tusq but the color is white. Also, this saddle is translucent meaning I can shine a flashlight on the opposite side of it and see shadows from the strings thru the material. Not sure if this is possible with bone....or is it?

I have seen Epi plastic saddles have more of a yellowish color in the past. What do you guys think? I have a pic in my avatar below. Thanks!

• 2 months later...

I've got an AJ-200S and the nut and saddle are both plastic, not bone. When you compare the two, it is obvious. Now by saying plastic, I don't mean ugly white soft plastic like on very cheap instruments, more like a tusq material. But, changing to a well fitting bone saddle, and a good bone nut drastically improves the guitar. It's worth it...

Jeff

Hi..I just bought a new Epi AJ-200S from GC. It sounds great and I am very happy with her. I do have a question, the saddle looks like bone (or at least the color does). Is this plastic or could Epi have slipped a few bone saddles in on this AJs from China?

Here's an easy check to find out if it is plastic or bone.....while you have the strings off (or loosened), pull the saddle from the bridge. Then grasp a large sewing needle, or a small finish nail, with a pair of pliers/hemostats and hold it over a flame until it glows red.

Immediately poke the saddle with the tip of the hot needle/finish nail. If the saddle is plastic, the hot needle will melt its way through the saddle, if it is bone all you'll end up with is a small smudge where the tip of the needle contacted the saddle and a bit of an odor of burning bone (smells just like the odor created when the dentist drills on your teeth [scared] ).

You can test the nut the same way, but don't need to take it off the guitar, just poke the needle/nail at the side of the nut.....the only thing about that is, if it is plastic, you'll then have a hole burned into your fretboard nut.....cosmetic, to be assured, but might be a problem for some.

Here's a photo of what happened when I "tested" a plastic toothbrush handle (the result will be the same if the saddle is plastic). That's the bone saddle from my AJ500RC sitting perpindicular to the toothbrush handle--the hot "nail" made only a small smudge mark on the AJ500RC's saddle, went through the toothbrush handle in less than 3 seconds:

102_2823.jpg

Cheers from Dugly [cool]

Archived