Gibson Brands Forums

New Vox Night Train HNAD

Rewddawg1

I recently bought a new Vox Night Train amp head. I am running it thru a B-52 2 x 12 cab w/ Celestion V-30's. I gotta tell you this little 15/7.5 amp head really rocks. I was undecided between the Orange Tiny Terror and this amp. I have to admit that the Orange TT was a bit louder and a slight more crunch but I was not looking for loud. the Vox NT has both a bright and thick channel w/ 3 eq's high, mid & bass. The TT only has one tone switch and one channel. What sold me on the Vox NT was the bright channel. It sounds fantastic on clean, has a terrific blues tone and if you turn up the gain you get an AC/DC tone. When you switch to the thick mode you can play from rock, to hard rock and even heavy metal. Price was not the issue with me but The Vox NT sells in the US for about $80 less than the Orange TT. Don't get me wrong I really liked the Orange TT but to my ears the Vox NT was more versatile. If you like to play hard rock and metal mostly you might like the Orange TT better. This is just my opinion.

If anyone else has experience with either of these amps I am interested in your opinion.

IMG_0185.jpg

IMG_0186.jpg

Hi there, never tried the vox but use to own a Tiny Terror, well i was loud, and very good crunch sound. didnt like its lead sound tho found it wasnt smooth enough for me. also i like some effects and no loop was a downer. i found its best sound was with the volume above 10 oclock which was pretty loud!

I sold it to get a blackstar ht5 as this had all the options i needed for a bedroom player; 5watts, fx loop, clean and dirty channels. excellent thick sound at very low volumes.

The 15 watt setting on the TT was quite a bit thicker than the 7 watt to my ears. very grainy, gritty and ballsy and sort of evil and would reccomend anyday just didnt suit my needs as well as the blackstar.

Hi there' date=' never tried the vox but use to own a Tiny Terror, well i was loud, and very good crunch sound. didnt like its lead sound tho found it wasnt smooth enough for me. also i like some effects and no loop was a downer. i found its best sound was with the volume above 10 oclock which was pretty loud!

I sold it to get a blackstar ht5 as this had all the options i needed for a bedroom player; 5watts, fx loop, clean and dirty channels. excellent thick sound at very low volumes.

The 15 watt setting on the TT was quite a bit thicker than the 7 watt to my ears. very grainy, gritty and ballsy and sort of evil and would reccomend anyday just didnt suit my needs as well as the blackstar.[/quote']

I had also considered the Blackstar but there are no dealers close to me to try one out and I am leary of purchasing an amp without trying it first. I am glad you found a small tube amp you like. I don't use effects except on my Marshall so that was not an issue.

My Night Train takes pedals through the front end just fine. You can even get pretty deep into metal tones with careful adjustment of an OD and a FUZZ pedal back to back. Main claim to fame for me is that chimey clean tone that just rings out. I re-tubed for a little more clean headroom and just turning it on turns me on. Sometimes I just sit and run through chord charts one key at a time because the sound is so lush and pretty, especially when you play through the major and minor 7ths and on into some 9ths and 13ths.

I had also considered the Blackstar but there are no dealers close to me to try one out and I am leary of purchasing an amp without trying it first. I am glad you found a small tube amp you like. I don't use effects except on my Marshall so that was not an issue.

Yeah the blackstar is awesome, chuck a parametric eq in the loop to give it some sizzle and its awesome. gonna get a tubescreamer soon to really push it. the eq really help shape the sound slightly. find it was quite dark but the eq gets rid of that and gives it tones of presence. £40 pedal to really create a perfect small amp imo

My Night Train takes pedals through the front end just fine. You can even get pretty deep into metal tones with careful adjustment of an OD and a FUZZ pedal back to back. Main claim to fame for me is that chimey clean tone that just rings out. I re-tubed for a little more clean headroom and just turning it on turns me on. Sometimes I just sit and run through chord charts one key at a time because the sound is so lush and pretty' date=' especially when you play through the major and minor 7ths and on into some 9ths and 13ths.[/quote']

Yeah Snook, I agree about the chimey clean tone on the bright channel. You just can't even get close with the Tiny Terror. I will have to try one of my Boss pedals on the front end and see what kind of metal tones I can get. Man that bright channel clean is so beautiful I don't even miss not having reverb. Like I said before that's what made my decision to go with the Night Train. Long Live Rock n Roll!

Try an Electro-Harmonix Nano Reverb pedal. If you've got some bucks left' date=' the Vox Tonelab LE or SE or ST, or whatever the current model name, works a treat with the Night Train.

[/quote']

Thanks for the info I will look into it.

• 2 weeks later...
Try an Electro-Harmonix Nano Reverb pedal. If you've got some bucks left' date=' the Vox Tonelab LE or SE or ST, or whatever the current model name, works a treat with the Night Train.

[/quote']

Hey Snookelputz, Hows it going? Does the Vox Tonelab maintain the tube sound of the amp or does it get a little fake sounding? I looked it up on MF and it looks impressive as long as you don't lose the real tube sound. Please let me know what your experiences have been. Thanks Rewd.

Archived