Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Signature SG?

WyldePlayer

I was wondering. AC/DC are my favorite band of all time. I really would like the signature SG that gibson produce but the price is a little too high for me. I noticed that epiphone have a number of custom artist series, Slash etc. So why not produce a Angus young SG.

Maybe a g400 body with full guard and a maestro vibrola? Custom inlays? who knows. As long as it costs half as much as the gibson equivlent and plays half as good i'd be happy. [biggrin]

Suggestions? Ideas? Discuss? :-

09 Fender Squier Classic Vibes Telecaster

08 Vintage VS6

Peavey Vypyr 15

No need for an Angus signature, unless you want different inlays or that dark cherry finish the Gibson comes with:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-LimitedEdition-G400-Deluxe-Electric-Guitar-with-Maestro-Vibrato-Tailpiece-?sku=581875

Unfortunately for you, it's a Guitar Center/Musician's Friend exclusive. There may be a UK distributor.

Thanks for all the responses.

Yeah i know i can get the sound with a pair of 57 classics etc. But you gotta admit its not the same as the SG with that dark cherry finish and the custom inlays. perhaps i'll consider the SG with vibrola. [biggrin]

09 Fender Squier Classic Vibes Telecaster

08 Vintage VS6

Peavey Vypyr 15

Well, this is what I can think of.

Here's your reference:

69586_l.jpg

1. Get an Epiphone 1966 G-400.

2. Install Gibson Angus Young signature pickups.

3. Purchase lightning inlay stickers from eBay. Click here

4. Replace the knobs and 3-way switchplate to match. You can find parts at GuitarNucleus

When it's all done.. It should look pretty darn close. haha

Angus doesn't play his own signature SG. He's used several different models over the years and never changes the stock pickups. Better getting any SG (Gibson or Epi) that plays nice to you and combining it with a valve amp at the right settings.

He could also buy one any color and just paint it as well????

Buy what? An SG-310? I'd recommend getting the 1966 G-400 since it looks more like it and is the same quality of the standard G-400.

If you're talking about the 3-way switchplate, it's cleaner and proper to just buy a cream-colored one. It's not that expensive.

Angus doesn't play his own signature SG. He's used several different models over the years and

never changes the stock pickups. Better getting any SG (Gibson or Epi) that plays nice to you and combining it with a valve amp at the right settings.

Maybe these days, but in the late 70's into the 80's he had some things like the Dimarzio X2N in 1983..

it's very much there in 'Live at Houston Summit, 1983' from Plug Me In.

Some of those other guitars were totally stock, and honestly those were the best sounding ones

and over time what he went back to.

I had read somewhere that his old road tech would rewind his pickups and that those guys knew how to get the best out his Gibson's

Archived