Gibson Brands Forums

Suggestions for pickup for AJ500RC?

YerDugliness

Well, the AJ500RC is back from the luthier (had to have the bridge reset, no surprise there) and I am now thinking about putting on a pickup of some kind so I can use it for open-mic nights.

I keep hearing great things about the KK Mini.....and have a Gibson certified warranty station "luthier" who says that those are tricky to install, but they have successfully done so in the past on various Gibson products.

Would anyone like to relate their experiences with different aftermarket pickups (not necessarily specifically installed on the AJ500RC)? I would be interested in how accurately they have produced the "acoustic" nature of your guitars, whether or not you have heard any "quack", as I understand that is common with UST pickups, that sort of thing.

Thanks in advance for whatever help you can provide!

Cheers from Dugly [biggrin]

Well' date=' the AJ500RC is back from the luthier (had to have the bridge reset, no surprise there) and I am now thinking about putting on a pickup of some kind so I can use it for open-mic nights.

I keep hearing great things about the KK Mini.....and have a Gibson certified warranty station "luthier" who says that those are tricky to install, but they have successfully done so in the past on various Gibson products.

Would anyone like to relate their experiences with different aftermarket pickups (not necessarily specifically installed on the AJ500RC)? I would be interested in how accurately they have produced the "acoustic" nature of your guitars, whether or not you have heard any "quack", as I understand that is common with UST pickups, that sort of thing.

Thanks in advance for whatever help you can provide!

Cheers from Dugly [biggrin

Good to hear from you again, Dug!

My own preference, both solo and in band, is to mic. Not always practical. I have a cheapie Dean Markley soundhole pickup that just slides in so no one has to do any drillin' on my baby (a sister of your baby, BTW). I think it produces a pretty accurate sound of the guitar, though my luthier said something about "the DM buzz." I don't hear it, but then my hearing stinks.

In my dobro I have a McIntyre. It's wonderful! I have heard great things about these from others, too, esp. the "feather" models (mine is a "button"). Relatively inexpensive, and easy to install. You order directly from the factory, and they are extremely easy to deal with--very friendly on the phone, even. Check it out!

K&M Install information - note that a Masterbilt was selected for the project.

K&M Install Link

Regards' date='[/quote']

Thanks for that info! It was very interesting.

I did some research on the K&K website and found that they highly recommend the mini with the phase switch. I asked the luthier who repaired a small ding in my Takamini 2005 LTD about that and he said it makes a difference some of the time, but didn't think it was that important. K&K says it's the MOST important feature to have.

Does anyone have any specific experience with the K&K Mini with the phase switch? I'd be interested in hearing any comments or observations. I understand the concept, that a venue's PA system might process the sound from your pickup out of phase with the output of your pickup and that could cause feedback and uneven emphasis across the spectrum, just don't know if it's that important or if it's just a sales pitch.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

I have the LR Baggs Element in a Breedlove that I really like. But I have a good friend that has the K&K in a J45, the AJ 500 and another friend that has it in two Larrivee guitars. Both of them are using the Pure XLR preamp and they all sound incredible. You can't go wrong with the K&K. I can't say much about the mini as all of the pups mentioned above are the Western.

Yep I would also go with the mini K&K with a phase switch and use a noiseless cord. But I would think also that it really depends on the system Dugly for the feed back to be that big of a problem. By the way my last Epi just left the door, no more Gibsons or Epiphones left in the house downsized from 23 to only 7 left now. Talk to you later off line.Ship

Archived