Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Les Paul Best Value?

Epidemic

I'm looking at LP modles that would be new @ $350 or less and will most likely

buy used unless I find a goodsale. Obiously there are reasons certain models

cost more, but often it's just "Bling"

So out of the models below, which is the best value or "bang for the buck".

Special II

Studio

Limited Edition Special SC

Oh yeah and I know that for Just "X" dollars more I could get the next best one, but

I'd really like to limit to the above.

Thanks

The Studio and Special SC are set-neck guitars. The Special II and 100 are bolt-on type.

The Special SC has P90s, the others have humbuckers.

The Studio has an arch top shape, the others are slab guitars.

Here's a guy selling a like-new SC for $290: http://delaware.craigslist.org/msg/1828238822.html

You should be able to get either the SC or Studio brand new on sale for less than $350 shipped, no tax.

You need to go set necked to get that fat LP tone. Not sure what the US prices are but you should look at the LP studio (or studio deluxe like my newest acquisition), the LP standard in black which has a thicker cap with neck and body binding and maybe the new traditional pro which has the binding but also new Epiphone pickups called probuckers. These are based on Gibson Burstbuckers. Somebody on here has one and reported the tone from these pups to be very nice indeed. A standard with a burst finish plain top or a standard plus with a burst + flamed top would, I think, be above your price range. With standards you pay over the odds for the burst finish and the falme veneer IMO. As such I think the black standard is the best value Epi LP and if the new Trad Pro pickups are good enough to prevent people upgrading then this could well take the crown. Studios are the entry level Epi LPs for recording or gigging according to some people.

Alan

If you don't mind buying used, you can pick up nice Epi LP Standards between $250 - $300 on Craigslist all day long. Sometimes even with a nice hard shell case. I usually always buy used now. Just check it out thoroughly before you commit. Good luck!

If you don't mind buying used' date=' you can pick up nice Epi LP Standards between $250 - $300 on Craigslist all day long. Sometimes even with a nice hard shell case. I usually always buy used now. Just check it out thoroughly before you commit. Good luck! [/quote']

I have found a few. Nice Chery Sunburst Standard with Hard Case for $275. So it appears your right, just not the color I'm looking for.

Archived