Gibson Brands Forums

2007 ES-335 Block Inlay

Tim Plains

I haven't done a comparrison of sound between the ES-335 Dot qnd ES-335 Block but have done a lot of researching seeing how no dealers had the Block 335 in stock. Musicans Freind offers the Block with a 60 slim taper neck and 57 classic PUP's but I don't care for the tuners on it. I had read the Historic 59 reissue, Historic 63 reissue, Memphis 63 Block reissue all have a larger neck than the Memphis 335 Dot. I recently picked up the 335 Dot, it has the 60 slim taper, 57 PUP's, and Grover tuners. One big reason I decided on the 335 Dot was the neck. I felt it was the best deal at an awsume price. I really like the 57's in a 335 I also have them in my LP 68 Custom. Good around PUP. The big major difference between the two is the inlay style, I like the block look. I guess it was a trade off for the 57's and Grovers vs the block inlay. Here's a link for PUP comparrions. http://www.gibson.com/Products/Accessories/Gear/Pickups/Pickups%20Guide/

RE: "Also, is there a BB Pro 1 & 2? I though there was only one type of BB Pro."

(Sourced from the Gibson web-site) the Burstbucker Pros come in a calibrated set, IM59A for the neck position, and IM59B for the bridge position. The bridge BB Pro has higher output than the neck BB Pro. The BB Pros (Alnico V) are only very slightly hotter than the Burstbucker 1 & 2 (Alnico II). The BB Pros are wax-potted. They came factory fitted on my Les Paul standard.

I think I got the last block inlay with 57 pups from Sweetwater because right after I ordered there was a "shipping delay" notice in the description. It arrived a few days later by FedEx and I'm very happy with the guitar. The workmanship is impeccable, and the sound of the 57 classics, well, they speak for themselves.

The 335 Block Inlay I have is a new product. If you bought a Block Inlay neck with '57s, than you have a '63 Reissue, which would have cost you around $5,000, new. From what I understand, the '63 Reissue has been in production for a while, and continues to be.

If you paid around $2,500 - $3,000 for it (new), it's got Burstbucker Pro pickups.

http://www.gibsoncustom.com/flash/products/es/335BlockNeck/335BlockNeck.html

Am I right? Are there any Gibson experts around that would like to clarify?

Tim

The 335 Block Inlay I have is a new product. If you bought a Block Inlay neck with '57s' date=' than you have a '63 Reissue, which would have cost you around $5,000, new. From what I understand, the '63 Reissue has been in production for a while, and continues to be.[/quote']

If understand you correctly, The 63 Historic Block RI is close to that price range but there are a few differences that it has that yours does not have. If you bought a Memphis ES-335 Block Inlay then it's almost the same as the Memphis Dot . It has Block inlays a 63 slim taper neck not the 60 slim taper, suppose to have a longer pick guard, and center block is suppose to be maple and lighter. Gibson list it with vintage style tuners MF and GC both show it with vintage tuners but their specs say it has Grover kidney bean? If it has 57 classic PUPs then you must have got it from Musicains Freind or Guitar Center. They spec them with 60 slim taper necks and 57 classics. Gibson sells them with Burstbuckers. Gibson, MF,and GC offer it in Antique teaBurst Antique Cherry Red. Hope this helps some, I know it's confusing.

• 2 weeks later...

my es 335 block inlay was made in Memphis in december 2006 it has the Burstbuckers 1+2 . This is the best 335 i ever owned : i had a late 60's model with a tailpiece and a 1989 dot reissue , i sold them both after buying the Memphis Block inlay .

The Memphis Es 335 Block inlay has the serial number on the back of the headstock ( 8 digits + Made in USA ) the guitar is only made in Tea Burst and Antique Red

The Custom shop Es 335 '63 Historic Block reissue has the serial number only on the orange label inside the Guitar ( A-xxxxxx ) .

• 2 months later...

I'll say these for the ES series from where I am seeing them. They are selling very fast. Several dealers in my area seem to turn them over very fast. While they are not limited to any one Genre, there does seem to be a renaissance of Jazz in the Northeast of greater proportions than I have seen in recent years. Many clubs I go to see bands at have been booking alot of great contemporary Jazz bands, and it's a nice trend as far as I am concerned. I can always go for an evening of well-played Jazz.

Archived