Gibson Brands Forums

Where do I start?

Epihead

Hi folks, after resolving the issue of the fake Slash LP i was sold last night and successfully getting my money back, I need your help if that's ok? I have always wanted an LP but will probably never be able to afford the real Mcoy. So i would like to know which of the Epiphone LP's is going to be my best bet, be that straight out of the box or even if there are certain models that really come alive with certain mods. I play mostly classic rock type stuff so that's why the Slash model appealed. Any help will be gratefully received

Most of the set-neck, arch-topped LPs are effectively the same, sharing pickups, electronics, and hardware. The differences are mostly cosmetic. The overall similarities are far greater than the differences. Aesthetics and mods are very personal and subjective. I'd say, choose the one that fits your taste and budget, buy it from an authorized dealer, play it for a while, and then decide if and what mods you might like to do. As always, this is IMO and YMMV.

Cheers for that, I read in one of the guitar mags that Epiphone are prone to getting their woods wrong and that the Slash model stood out as one of the guitars they produce that has got it right. I've also seen models with PAF and Burstbuckers fitted as standard which appeals. I suppose i just wondered if there are any models which are stand out over the others?

The Elitist models, which are no longer in production, would be considered by most players to stand out over the others, but their prices encroached Gibson territory. Not many Epi models come with USA Gibson pickups, and I don't know which ones they are - most Epi humbuckers are the Alnico Classics, regardless of guitar model. Be careful of everything you read - there's a ton of unsubstantiated conjecture about guitars, in general.

I should mention that there are many other excellent Les Paul copies out there, too. Agile is one of them, and they are an absolute bargain.

Hi folks' date=' after resolving the issue of the fake Slash LP i was sold last night and successfully getting my money back, I need your help if that's ok? I have always wanted an LP but will probably never be able to afford the real Mcoy. So i would like to know which of the Epiphone LP's is going to be my best bet, be that straight out of the box or even if there are certain models that really come alive with certain mods. I play mostly classic rock type stuff so that's why the Slash model appealed. Any help will be gratefully received[/quote']

I don't know you price range, but I like this:

Les Paul Tribute

A little pricey, but it comes with a hard shell case and real Gibson pickups.

The standard epi lp is great i had one for about a year and had enough money to upgrade to a gibson lp bfg which was something i loved.

I thought its was a very good guitar, very solid and well made. looked beautiful too. Dont buy a new one from ebay as id say there are 1in5 fakes who say new and there price is about 50 quid cheaper.

i upgraded my pickups to irongear ones from the irongear website. very good upgrade and very cheap too. about 25-30quid each.

coda music is a great place to pickup 2nd hand epis. theyvce got 3 lp customs for 300quid at the minute and they sell 2nd hand standards for about 250. You'll not get a fake there as there a genuine gibson,epiphone,fender dealer. check out there website there a massive 2nd hand section.

There based in luton and stevenage. i always go to the luton branch as im from dunstable.

heres a link

http://www.coda-music.com/index.php?cPath=170&oscsid=f9b759268fe5b7ae43b6271936345597

Very helpfull over the phone too. Also what amp do you use? even the slash lp wouldnt sound much better than the standard through a low cost amp.

coda music is a great place to pickup 2nd hand epis. theyvce got 3 lp customs for 300quid at the minute and they sell 2nd hand standards for about 250. You'll not get a fake there as there a genuine gibson' date='epiphone,fender dealer. check out there website there a massive 2nd hand section.

There based in luton and stevenage. i always go to the luton branch as im from dunstable.

heres a link

http://www.coda-music.com/index.php?cPath=170&oscsid=f9b759268fe5b7ae43b6271936345597

Very helpfull over the phone too. Also what amp do you use? even the slash lp wouldnt sound much better than the standard through a low cost amp.[/quote']

However, you can get a brand new standard plus in vintage sunburst from Thomann for £311.25 incl delivery and if you don't want to have it posted from Germany, DV247 (who have shops in various parts of the UK) will price match.

Slap a pair of SDs in there (Alnico pro II if you like the GNR rock tone) and you're not far from the slash model.

Note: Thomann have the Cherryburst Standard Plus for just £296.39 - ridiculous! Pop some Dimarzios in and you're Ace Frehley on a budget (or SD hot rodded set if you prefer Tommy Thayer.)

To be honest, it's incredible how you can get so close to your LP playing heroes' tones for not much outlay.

Click on all the mages on the links below. They're stunning - who could resist?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_lp_standard_plus_vsb.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_les_paul_standard_cherry_sunburst.htm

A lot of the LP's have what Epi call US designed pickups, which to me means copies, which means Epi humbuckers with a bit of marketing.

The prophecy range have either Gibson Dirty Fingers on the GX or EMG 81/85 on the EX.

The have binding and the finish looks pretty good quality.

The neck is nice and thin with a satin finish

I have an SG prophecy GX with the Gibson Dirty Fingers and love it.

As I always say get to your local stores and try as many as you can and find the one you like, no matter what model it may be.

However' date=' you can get a brand new standard plus in vintage sunburst from Thomann for £311.25 incl delivery and if you don't want to have it posted from Germany, DV247 (who have shops in various parts of the UK) will price match.

Slap a pair of SDs in there (Alnico pro II if you like the GNR rock tone) and you're not far from the slash model.

Note: Thomann have the Cherryburst Standard Plus for just £296.39 - ridiculous! Pop some Dimarzios in and you're Ace Frehley on a budget (or SD hot rodded set if you prefer Tommy Thayer.)

To be honest, it's incredible how you can get so close to your LP playing heroes' tones for not much outlay.

Click on all the mages on the links below. They're stunning - who could resist?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_lp_standard_plus_vsb.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_les_paul_standard_cherry_sunburst.htm

I personally like to try before i buy. for £250 2nd hand it can bee in almost new condition. new there expensive compared to the web prices.

I wouldnt buy of net if could help it. Coda is pretty local so worth the 20min trip from bedford

I got my BFG of ebay as they dont make them anymore and got lucky as its great. much better quality than the gary moore modelthey got in the shop which is crap. feels and sounds horrible.

I played 4 or 5 epis before getting mine and there was quite a difference in them all. all had high action but that can be adjusted. 2 of them i didnt like the flame veneer top looked really fake if that makes sence and one of the others sounded horrible. kind of dull.

the 2 good ones i choose the best looking one in the end.

If your a beginner then i always say try them unplugged first. if they sound nice acoustically and ring out nice then with good electrics/pickups it will sing. if it sounds crap unplugged then will sound crap with top notch electrics.

My bfg is really nice sounding acoustically so i was lucky, like i say the gary moore one in the shop sounds dull unplugged and kinda thin compared to mine when plugged in.

I wont buy new anymore as to costly but will buy 2nd hand from a shop.

Good advice to try before buy. Hence the DV247 price match suggestion - a good way to get new for not much more than used.

Smaller shops dealing in used models may well do more on the setup front if they have a more personal service. I'd want a 3-month guarantee from them though - just in case.

To be honest' date=' it's incredible how you can get so close to your LP playing heroes' tones for not much outlay.

[/quote']

So very right!

The next picture is an Epi LP Goldtop Classic with SD Alnico II Pros which are like Slash's pickups.

This guitar came with them stock and it followed the Slash goldtop.

And she plays really well and wasn't very expensive either (€ 500).

lpgt22.jpg

To be honest' date=' it's incredible how you can get so close to your LP playing heroes' tones for not much outlay.[/quote']

This^

I bought all of Coheed & Cambria's live DVDs and learnt more or less all of my guitar technique by watching Claudio play and copying him. Now I sound (imo) much closer to him than the posers on youtube etc. with their Gibson Explorers and their Bogner amps. [biggrin]

I originally got my LP because it had the same pickups that he used (EMGs.) He's since gone back to Gibson stockers, but I've kept my EMGs and even got some new ones for my Explorer because they're my tone now. [biggrin]

/endlifestory

I bought all of Coheed & Cambria's live DVDs and learnt more or less all of my guitar technique by watching Claudio play and copying him. Now I sound (imo) much closer to him than the posers on youtube etc. with their Gibson Explorers and their Bogner amps. [biggrin]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

full_of_win.jpg

I didn't even go that far. I've always just tried to sound like me.

I didn't even go that far. I've always just tried to sound like me.

I think my actual tone is quite different to Claudio's now (See' date=' I dime my EQ and THEN hit the scoop button [biggrin ,) but when your play style has similar nuances, it's a lot easier for the mind to fill in the difference. [biggrin]

I guess that's something you never really get more than one shot at though. :-k

Archived