Gibson Brands Forums

Not so flat top

ozigor

I have a MASTERBILT DR500M and I notice that the top is slightly raised at the bridge.

I would say about 2-3mm.

I guess this is due to the string tension.

Is this tolerable or should the guitar remain perfectly flat??

You will want to get something to control the humidity. Guitars are happiest when the humidity is between 40-60%. Mine are happiest around 40% so that is where I try to maintain the humidity in my music room. In my case, I live in a dry climate during the winter months and need to keep solid wood guitars in their cases with humidification. If you live in a humid area, you may need a de-humidifier for your cases.

Thanks for the info friends.

I have a humidity instrument (forgotten the name) to measure the air in my house. I don't have the luxury of a music room.

I will have to humidify my guitars for winter as the heating will dry out the air, but summer doesn't get that humid. The highest I have noticed was around the high 60's.

So I just have to put up with that. If it gets any higher I will get some case de-humidifiers

Thanks again everyone for the info.

One notable exception to the radiused tops would be Gibsons starting about 1969. They went to flattops - Just another bright idea from the bean counters who gave us the square shoulder J-45.

[biggrin] :) :)

(Please don't let them thing about any square shoulder J-45 re-issues!!!!)

Hi Ozigor -

Had to take a look at my two and one-half year old DR500M after reading your comment. Mine is "flat", as I cannot visibly see any type of "raising" at the bridge area. I keep all my guitars in the lower level of my home (below grade), so humidity, or the lack of, is not an issue for me. I change strings often, and usually tune down one-half to one full note.

Regards,

Hi Ozigor -

Had to take a look at my two and one-half year old DR500M after reading your comment. Mine is "flat"' date=' as I cannot visibly see any type of "raising" at the bridge area. I keep all my guitars in the lower level of my home (below grade), so humidity, or the lack of, is not an issue for me. I change strings often, and usually tune down one-half to one full note.

Regards,[/quote']

If you put a ruler or strait edge across the top below the bridge, you will find that there is indeed a slight arch.

Red 333

Hi,

For what it is worth, I have a RJNS-500. I am very happy with it but it is very, very sensative to humidity. I have had some 'knowledgable' music store folks tell me that my model is notorious (sp??) for bulging due to thin top. Others claim the top width is 'pretty standard for a production model'. All that said, when the humidity is at least 45% or more, the top behaves and it is a nice sounding insturment and stays in tune. Below 40% and I have had the tuning fluctuate while playing one song!

I see that raising is not unusual so I am reassured.

Abbeyroadman I am going to try down tuning to see if the top comes back, however I am now less concerned if this issue is common on flatops.

Thanks again

Red 333 -

You are correct - placing a ruler below the bridge does reveal a slight arch that visually I cannot see. Thank you for the insight. No concern on my part though, action and intonation remain perfect from my perspective and preference.

Regards,

Red 333 -

You are correct - placing a ruler below the bridge does reveal a slight arch that visually I cannot see. Thank you for the insight. No concern on my part though' date=' action and intonation remain perfect from my perspective and preference.

Regards,[/quote']

Yeah, that slight slight arch is what you want to have. A bulge or divot above or below the bridge would be a cause for concern, though--sign of a structural problem or over/under humidification.

Red 333

Archived