Gibson Brands Forums

New hardware coming

Hooligan

Well after losing a bid on a Blackstar HT-5 Combo I decided I needed some new hardware as a consolation...LOL Today I ordered a set of new Grover Rotomatics AND a new Gotoh Aluminum tail piece. I'll take some pictures when the new stuff arrives. I can hardly wait!

I have one of those Alu stopbars on my Arbor 335...sounds and feels fantastic. Also easier to overwrap with.

The Blackstar is kinda nice...I just picked up the Vox AC4TV8 and V112 cab for $300, and they sound incredible compared to the HT5 I tried out a month or so ago! Plus I get to choose whether I want an 8" or 12" sound! Of course, not as many knobs as the Blackstar.....ah well, going to have to pick up an AC15 or something, I guess...

Well after losing a bid on a Blackstar HT-5 Combo I decided I needed some new hardware as a consolation...LOL Today I ordered a set of new Grover Rotomatics AND a new Gotoh Aluminum tail piece. I'll take some pictures when the new stuff arrives. I can hardly wait!

Congrats on the hardware and condolences on the HT5C........

If you really want the Blackstar sound, you'd do better with the 5H head and a 12" cab from somewhere, as the 8" combo speaker OR the 10" stock cab spkr just don't cut it.

My 5H pushes thru a 12" Jensen "Vintage Ceramic Series" speaker (C12Q 35w) and is the best sounding small setup i've ever heard.

Well the install was a bit more involved than I had intended. I had to actually drill bigger holes in the headstock for the Grovers, which made me a little nervous. But it turned out pretty well. The new tail piece is in as well and as reported I can hear greater sustain and string to string clarity.

Grovers.jpg

TailPiece.jpg

Actually it reduces the string tension which makes bending easier. It also gives your hand a nice place to rest. But mainly it looks cool! hehehehe

Does it ACTUALLY reduce string tension? I hear people say this a lot, but I'm sure the pitch of the string is determined by the length and tension and you couldn't change tension without changing the pitch. I would have thought if it makes bending easier it's simply because there's a longer length of string between the bridge and tuner, giving more room for the metal to stretch. Obviosuly, metal isn't a stretchy thing, but the more length you can get contributing mass, the more stretch.

Archived