Lyre Maestro Trem or Bigsby Trem?

BryanFoFyan

The Vibrola:

-Classic look

-Lighter weight

The Bigsby

-Ballsier look

-Heavy (helps with SG neck dive :P)

They both work by a similar mechanism so there's really nothing between them in stability and range. Both are piss-easy to install, the Bigsby takes 4 small screws into the top of the guitar, and the Vibrola takes 3, I believe. You just need to like it up well (string in place of the high+low E strings works well.) Can't comment on how much a luthier would charge, but if you know how to use a drill and a screwdriver, they are ripping you off. [biggrin]

ha thanks im sure i could do it but at the slight risk of messing something up id rather not. i was told on the gibson forums that the maestro will leave tail piece anchors showing and was suggested to check out the vibramate with bigsby b5 which im gonna look into. the only concern i had was if my harshell would still close with the added height of the bigsby

I recommend you try both before deciding, if you can. I seriously regret putting a Bigsby on my Tele. I much prefer the action of the short maestro on my V. The Bigsby is spongey in comparison, needing more travel for the same effect. And fitting new strings is a pig.

Archived