Gibson Brands Forums

A few electrics you may like

pohatu771

Browsing the inventory of House of Guitars today, I found a few things some of you may be interested in seeing.

If you like the photos, thank the camera they decided to put in the Palm Pre. If you don't, blame the lighting at House of Guitars. The camera and good lighting work quite well (such as outside photos), but if you don't have good lighting to begin with the flash is fairly useless.

Epiphone Les Paul 1 - Samick, 1985-1988

CIMG0088.jpg

Typical early Samick headstock

CIMG0089.jpg

Epiphone Coronet and USA Map Guitar - Kalamazoo

I can't tell if it's a Gibson or Epiphone map (or if the Gibson exists) because it's so high above the floor.

CIMG0087.jpg

To the left you can see a vintage Explorer, and a Gibson V2 is between them.

Epiphone Nighthawk

CIMG0090.jpg

Epiphone Caiola Standard - Kalamazoo

CIMG0091.jpg

Epiphone Zephyr Regent - New York

CIMG0092.jpg

Epiphone Les Paul Studio... I believe it was tagged as a "Vineyard" model

CIMG0085.jpg

CIMG0086.jpg

Thanks for the photos, loving that LP1! [biggrin]

Epiphone Les Paul Studio... I believe it was tagged as a "Vineyard" model

CIMG0085.jpg

There's one of those hanging up in my local Rock Shop, it's labeled as a Midnight Vine.

And there was a Gibson Map Guitar, but I think it had a bit different control layout.

Thanks for the photos' date=' loving that LP1! [biggrin']

There's one of those hanging up in my local Rock Shop, it's labeled as a Midnight Vine.

And there was a Gibson Map Guitar, but I think it had a bit different control layout.

That's what it was called - Midnight Vine.

If you've seen a Gibson branded USA Map Guitar, that confirms that both exist. This one must be an Epiphone, then. I've seen them with two different control layouts, but can never seen the headstock logo.

[EDIT] I just found this very guitar on GBase - the HOG says it's a 1982 Epiphone.

Now that I'm in lust for that Al Caiola model, I'm loving your pic of that Standard ... thanks, Pohatu!

Nothing in this shop seems to have a price tag. Must be one of those, "If you have to ask the price, you probably can't afford it" shops, huh?

Jim

Now that I'm in lust for that Al Caiola model' date=' I'm loving your pic of that Standard ... thanks, Pohatu!

Nothing in this shop seems to have a price tag. Must be one of those, "If you have to ask the price, you probably can't afford it" shops, huh?

Jim[/quote']

That Midnight Vine sells here for US$650ish. I doubt it. [biggrin]

Nothing in this shop seems to have a price tag. Must be one of those' date=' "If you have to ask the price, you probably can't afford it" shops, huh?

Jim[/quote']

It's odd... some stuff is marked, some stuff is not. When there's a sale, there are giant price tags with a lower-than-GC price on them that always say "Today only," but the sale goes on until the tags fall off or the guitar is sold. They had Melody Makers on sale for $329 last February (2009), and the sale didn't end until a few weeks ago when they got a new shipment and decided to put them on the rack.

Generally, you know what something costs everywhere else, tell them what you want to pay, and unless it's lower than their cost, they sell it to you. I generally take the guitar and the case (when they aren't included) for Guitar Center's guitar-only price.

I actually applied there Friday night, I'm just waiting to hear back.

It's a great place to find NOS guitars... I was joking with one of my friends (who works there) about how we should start buying guitars based on what "looks like us." I ended up finding a Tommy Hilfiger-branded Gibson SG-X - serial number put it at 1999. One day I discovered five Fender Toronados (out of production since 2006). They also have quite the selection of Kalamazoo-made Epiphones, if anyone ever wants one.

Vintage stuff is well off the ground - you've got to know what you want to try it out. Unfortunately, that makes it hard to photograph. The signed stuff is either up with the vintage stuff or in display case (for the bigger-name stars or more expensive instruments) or in a rack in the least convenient part of the store. It's for sale, but for the most part, it's low-end guitars with outdated autographs.

Archived