Gibson Brands Forums

New Pickups

Wrecsam

I have a special II and want gold pickups for it, not sure wether to buy covers, or a new pickup altogether, i'm happy with the sound my guitar makes, but think it could be better, any suggestions for pickups? (im in UK)

Gday mate, Im a big fan of Seymour Duncans, improved the tone of my Epi Dot substantially. As for what model? I guess that depends on the style of music you play. Ive got 59's in my Dot, but I like a warm, woody vintage tone. Jump on the SD website and read the descriptions.

I wasnt too sure it'd be worth swapping the stock PUs at first, but now Ive done it I wouldnt go back.

Cheers, Scott.

I've got a les paul' date=' and i play a lot of solos and smetimes rythm with songs that aren't too heavy, e.e nivarna[/quote']

Cobain played Mustangs and a cheapo Epiphone ET-270

epiphone.jpg

He did it without Seymour Duncans!!!

Christ, you don't need a quadrophonic Blaupunkt! What you need is a curveball! In the show, everyone can hit heat.

It has been said time and again that you get more tone change for your

money by buying a different [better] amp.

I'm not saying different pickups won't change or improve the sound of your guitar,

but your amp has to be able to give you the sound you want also.

Probably 4 or 5 yrs ago I had a Special II vin. sunburst. Bought a SD '59 neck/JB bridge. Didn't replace electronics. I gotta tell ya for the $180 I paid I was very disappointed. I'm not gonna talk bad about your Basswood gtr even though I bought one new. Go to a store and pick up an Epi LP STD and notice how it feels. It'll sound better, too. It would still benefit from those SD's just like the Sp II though. I wish I Still had my set.

I swear I ain't hatin' on your gtr. It's just that I could kick myself for investing those p-ups in THAT gtr and then losing both when I could have held out for one that's at least an archtop.

I think I'd trade the special II in and go for an Epi LP or SG. Then, you can change the pickups and feel good about spending the money. I like Seymour Duncans and have never regretted putting a set of Pearly Gates pups in my Epi LP custom.

Pearlies are clean and clear when you pet them, and growly when you dig in. Sometimes, they are almost Tele like. When you need crunch, they have the output to drive most any amp to saturation.

I might just be in a very bad mood because I've got a headache and a deadline and I'm stuck in a clinic with like 10 patients all afternoon and it's raining but....

I really don't see the point in trying to upgrade a special II. I have resisted posting this before in case you had to scrape and save for a few months just to get that rubbish guitar... You should have bought a guitar you liked in the first place, one that would be worth a little tweak here or there. If you like burst Les Pauls and you're on a budget, get an Epi LP standard. If you like solid black or white, get an Epi LP custom (seriously, there's no other colour woth having on a custom, even from Gibson's current line up). If you LIKE the very minimalist cheapo look and feel of a special II, that's the only reason to own one.

Point 2,

upgrading pickups isn't going to do a lot with a crappy Epiphone Special needs. You're much better off getting a decent amp, that way you won't spend $300 for no effect and when you eventually do realise that the Special Needs guitar is only worth binning or burning, you won't have wasted money as you can still keep your amp...

... yeah, I'm in a really bad mood, sorry...

Archived