Gibson Brands Forums

Advice on new Epi

Lancer33

I am looking at getting either a G-310 or G-400. Question is which one? As far as I have been able to determine the only differences are the body wood (alder vs mahogany), neck (set vs bolt on) and the alnico pups on the 400. The mahogany body should provide a richer tone then the alder but I am not to fond of set necks. Are these the only differences and what would the folks on this forum recommend.

Get the G400. It's simply a better guitar, in pretty much all aspects, and not for very much more dough.

I have a couple of fenders myself, and like the bolt on necks. But in this case, the set neck G400 is much better than the bolt on 310. I'll let someone else give you the specifics.

Get the G400. It's simply a better guitar' date=' in pretty much all aspects, and not for very much more dough.

I have a couple of fenders myself, and like the bolt on necks. But in this case, the set neck G400 is much better than the bolt on 310. I'll let someone else give you the specifics.[/quote']

+1

It's not a matter of set neck vs. bolt on, an SG with a bolt on neck ain't an SG!!! The whole design changes because the screw up neck is recessed into the body, the pickups get shifted down, you lose the upper fret access that make SGs what they are.

By the way, Telecasters with set necks ain't real Telecasters either. One should never meddle with the primal forces of nature...

The G-400 also comes with Grover tuners, as where the G-310 has standard die-cast type. The pickguards are completely different, and if you want to do any customizing you cannot readily buy replacement or custom pickguards for the G-310. They are out there, but not in abundance or sold at guitar stores. And lastly, If I am correct, the G-400 has a slightly thinner neck, especially at the nut. The G-310 has basically your typical LP-Special/Junior neck.

I will admit though, that the G-310 has improved over the years. They used to be ply-body guitars with terrible sounding Vantage pickups. They are much better these days.

Archived