Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Dot neck pickup´s pocket issue

tt

Hi,

I discovered that the plywood skin is not perfectly attached to the guitar´s centre block in the neck pickup pocket zone. The open crack is not more than 0.5 mm in height, and on one end of the pocket, a separate lower layer of the veneer/plywood has come off, between the skin and centre block (so, this zone has 2 tiny height cracks above eachother). The length of the cracks is within the width of the neck pup pocket - they dont go or come further. Looks like it all has been previously glued intact, but then come off. Probably this summer´s excessive sun and heat may have done somedamage to it. Or even my own silly hand, when I once used hair dryer to set the neck pickup´s chinese plastic frame to suit better with the curves of the guitar´s archtop. Anyway, there are no problems with playing, looks, staying in tune, etc. But it still bugs me. What do you suggest to do? Just leave it as is, fill the cracks with sometyhing a´la high quality epoxy resin, or try to glue the skin back to the centre block, with some decent carpenter´s glue, using pressure clamps?

Has anybody ever seen something similar on 335-type guitars?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

a foggy pic from cell-phone photos:

dot_neck_pock_1_1.JPG

Hi' date='

I discovered that the plywood skin is not perfectly attached to the guitar´s centre block in the neck pickup pocket zone. The open crack is not more than 0.5 mm in height, and on one end of the pocket, a separate lower layer of the veneer/plywood has come off, between the skin and centre block (so, this zone has 2 tiny height cracks above eachother). The length of the cracks is within the width of the neck pup pocket - they dont go or come further. Looks like it all has been previously glued intact, but then come off. Probably this summer´s excessive sun and heat may have done somedamage to it. Or even my own silly hand, when [i']I once used hair dryer to set the neck pickup´s chinese plastic frame to suit better with the curves of the guitar´s archtop[/i]. Anyway, there are no problems with playing, looks, staying in tune, etc. But it still bugs me. What do you suggest to do? Just leave it as is, fill the cracks with sometyhing a´la high quality epoxy resin, or try to glue the skin back to the centre block, with some decent carpenter´s glue, using pressure clamps?

Has anybody ever seen something similar on 335-type guitars?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Put the pickup back on, and play the damn guitar. And don't attempt anymore repairs!!!

The pickups are being wound down (reducing the resistance) at the moment (my hands are always itchy for every sort of tinkering :-) ), and the guitar is having it´s guts out anyway (i just soldered more proper wiring harness to it), so this would be good time to decide whether to do or not something about those cracks, and play the bulletproof teles meanwhile :-)

The Dot

The pickups are being wound down (reducing the resistance) at the moment (my hands are always itchy for every sort of tinkering :-) )' date=' and the guitar is having it´s guts out anyway (i just soldered more proper wiring harness to it), so this would be good time to decide whether to do or not something about those cracks, and play the bulletproof teles meanwhile :-)

[/quote']

"...there are no problems with playing, looks, staying in tune."

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Archived