Gibson Brands Forums

Restoring a 1952 Les Paul

Flitcraft

I have a 1952 Les Paul that is in terrible shape. I mean really really terrible. I bought it when I was 18 (in 1968) for 50 bucks. It was my main guitar for some time and I would love to get it restored.

It was really rough when I bought it. The original owner removed the gold and painted it red (ouch). He also cut a whole in the maple top and installed a "sort of" Bigsby (argh). The original bridge parts were in the case but they went who knows where probably in the early 70s (dang). I had the hole filled in and a stud tailpiece installed in about 1970 just to make it playable. The pickup covers were really really thin, almost like heavy paper, and they fell apart years ago.

Is this worth restoring? Does anyone have even a remote ballpark clue how much a restoration job like this would cost? Who should I get to do it? Gibson?

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Hmmm - pics would help. I assume it has P90's on it? one piece body & neck, original tuners??

Frankly, given the rediculous cost associated with "official Gibson" repairs and their "look like new" refinishes, I would avoid giving the refin job to Gibson.

I was thinking of a goldtop refin on an early 70's Deluxe, and Gibson quoted me $2K, maybe it was $2,200 for a refin that would look new.

I wanted a vintage style refin & sent it to RS Guitarworks in Kentucky. For $1400 they did an AMAZING job.

My only caveat, tell them EXACTLY what you want done on the Work Order before they begin any work. Talk with them about cost and exactly what they can and will do before you write the Work Order. Do NOT assume they will make any changes or updates to the work order by phone. All refins, repairs, etc. they do are from the work order so be specific. Since you will have them do a goldtop finish, the bad tailpiece repair will be covered over, and you can have them do anything from closet classic to road-wear from hell refinish. If you want parts replaced, be specific how worn you wants the parts to look. Keep in mind a 1952 tailpiece and bridge could cost $1000 or something like that, and you or they would have to source it. Reproduction parts are expensive, but not as much as original vintage parts.

Best of luck

[ I also had a 52 LP , GT, P90s and trapeze bridge ... got it for 50 bucks at a pawn shop in 1965... Sounded WONDERFUL !!! Worn , so I sent it back to Gibson for restoration ... Only 200 bucks then (a lot of money at the time ) What they sent back was the guitar painted Black , with a regular bridge and mini humbuckers... They kept all the old stuff and pups ... That just just ruined it for me , although they did a SUPER job and it looked brand new, just never sounded the same with the new pups ... Be VERY specific what you want done ... !!!!!!! Otherwise send it to a GOOD luthier for authentic restoration ...

My advice would be to deal with someone LOCALLY. That way, you can talk face to face with the person doing the job and monitor the progress of the restoration process. You don't want to be sending emails back and forth, waiting and wondering what's happening to your guitar.

For what it's worth: Neil Young's "Old Black" is a 1954 LP that someone spray painted black, and Young has just left it that way. If I were you, I would try to get your LP into good playing condition, but I wouldn't worry about trying to restore it to its original form. As long as the old wood, pickups, etc. are there, you're going to have the tone. Why worry about the optics?

It would be cool to see some pics...

[biggrin]

Archived