Gibson Brands Forums

339 figured vs 359

MediaMan

I am debtaing between the figured 339 and the 359 (with ebony fretbosrd and block inlay)...both pictured here (referenced as $3249 and $2999 resepctively)

Aside form the aethetics, and playability differences some claim re an ebony board, I note the Gibson site states that "Unlike the ES-339, which has fat and thin neck options, the ES-359 comes with a Lucille-type profile neck which tapers more and is fatter at the 12th fret than the ES-339.

Hmmm, so the 359 neck is fatter still than the 339 fat neck?? I assume this means a deeper D-shape . I thought 2 neck choices were confusing enough, but 3 is a charm! The ebony and inlays are growing on me...but I need to hold this thing in my hand to figure out if the 359 neck is too much to handle or actaully more comfortable to play!

Has anyone had the opportunity to play both and notice any differences re the fatter fat neck??

Are there other subtleties that would sway a decision between the 339 figured and the 359?

I found the 359 neck to be somewhere in between the two 339 neck choices. Also like the other poster mentioned the big block inlay headstock inlay and gold all in all makes the 359 feel more like a high end big jazz box. I chose the 359 and I'm very pleased.

post-24596-034363400 1282914380_thumb.jpg

I've never seen a 359 up close and personal so I don't know how much figure you seen in them. The back of my 339 is also highly figured (not sure about the 359).

es339fc.jpg

es339b.jpg

I got mine before the 359 came out. If I could find a 359 with the figure I have now I'd get that in a heartbeat...

I am debtaing between the figured 339 and the 359 (with ebony fretbosrd and block inlay)...both pictured here (referenced as $3249 and $2999 resepctively)

Aside form the aethetics, and playability differences some claim re an ebony board, I note the Gibson site states that "Unlike the ES-339, which has fat and thin neck options, the ES-359 comes with a Lucille-type profile neck which tapers more and is fatter at the 12th fret than the ES-339.

Hmmm, so the 359 neck is fatter still than the 339 fat neck?? I assume this means a deeper D-shape . I thought 2 neck choices were confusing enough, but 3 is a charm! The ebony and inlays are growing on me...but I need to hold this thing in my hand to figure out if the 359 neck is too much to handle or actaully more comfortable to play!

Has anyone had the opportunity to play both and notice any differences re the fatter fat neck??

Are there other subtleties that would sway a decision between the 339 figured and the 359?

I own a 339 with the (59) Bigger neck. It`s wide at the 12th fret so I wonder if the 359 is fatter than mine.

I`ve never seen a 359 so I`m looking forward to that. I`m not big on the ebony fretboard, I like rosewood but I`m still going to try out the 359. I`ve always been a Fender guy. But the 339 has made me put away my Strats and Tele.K

id suggest this http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Custom-ES359-AAA-Flame-Maple-SemiHollow-Electric-Guitar?sku=500250 its a AAA figured maple flame top 359, so its the best of both worlds at a seemingly cheaper price. the msrp price is higher than the two you are debating between, but this one has a lower sale price(since one was 3009 and the other was 3249 on musicians friend). ive noticed the prices for these es guitars seems a bit unorganized...ive been looking to get an es-339 or 359 for a while, this seems to be the best bet. plus it just looks amazing...i thought i had to have it as soon as i saw it...also it doesnt have that thick lucille neck on it, its just a 60/30.

• 4 months later...

id suggest this http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Custom-ES359-AAA-Flame-Maple-SemiHollow-Electric-Guitar?sku=500250 its a AAA figured maple flame top 359, so its the best of both worlds at a seemingly cheaper price. the msrp price is higher than the two you are debating between, but this one has a lower sale price(since one was 3009 and the other was 3249 on musicians friend). ive noticed the prices for these es guitars seems a bit unorganized...ive been looking to get an es-339 or 359 for a while, this seems to be the best bet. plus it just looks amazing...i thought i had to have it as soon as i saw it...also it doesnt have that thick lucille neck on it, its just a 60/30.

So does the ES359 have a 30/60 neck??? Or as it is written on the Gibson webpage: "Unlike the ES-339, which has fat and thin neck options, the ES-359 comes with a Lucille-type profile neck which tapers more and is fatter at the 12th fret than the ES-339."

I played both and went with the 339 Figured. It's gorgeous and sounds great. I believe the 359 has a hollowed out mahogany back rather than a solid block and maple back and top. To me tone wise the 339 sounded closer to a 335. The 359 was more Les Paul like.

I played both and went with the 339 Figured. It's gorgeous and sounds great. I believe the 359 has a hollowed out mahogany back rather than a solid block and maple back and top. To me tone wise the 339 sounded closer to a 335. The 359 was more Les Paul like.

i believe you're describing the 356, not the 359. my understanding is that 359 is blinged up 339 and 356 is blinged up 336. eljay

Archived