Gibson Brands Forums

339 question...Standard and Custom Shop????

johnny_uk

I believe the only difference between 339s is plain or flamed top. Both come with two neck profile choices, and in a choice of colors. Both plain tops and flamed tops are considered Custom Shop models. If you search this forum, you'll find a thread which discusses what "Custom Shop" designates when it comes to the semi-hollows.

The 339 is technically a Custom Shop model, but it's not really a Custom guitar. That is, you can't special order one with custom features.

In the US, they're a Musician's Friend/Guitar Center exclusive but in Canada you can get one at any Gibson dealer. I believe it's the same in Europe. Any Gibson dealer should be able to get one. Although didn't the distributor in europe change a few months back?

My next question then is........ Can you buy a custom shop 339 from an online shop' date=' or do you need to specifically order from the custom shop?[/quote']

By the way, even when ordering a Custom Shop guitar, you have to place your order through a Gibson dealer. You don't order directly.

The 339 is technically a Custom Shop model' date=' but it's not [i']really[/i] a Custom guitar.

Yes. All ES series guitars are technically "Custom Shop" guitars, even the satin finish ES 335. The "Memphis Custom Shop" builds the ES series.

The ES 339 is a great guitar. I hope you're able to get one!

Red 333

In the UK, Guitar Village advertise a £1099 Gibson 339 and a £1600 Gibson 339. If they are all made in the custom shop, do they then all have the CS logo on the heel of the neck? Why is there such a difference in price? Am I missing the obvious here??

I have been told that there is a standard 339 and a custom shop 339. If thats correct then I can understand the price difference, but I fail to understand that they are all made in the custom shop

Why does there have to be all this confusion or am I being really thick here?

I have been told that there is a standard 339 and a custom shop 339. If thats correct then I can understand the price difference' date=' but I fail to understand that they are all made in the custom shop[/quote']

There is a plain top version and a flame top version. In Canada, the price difference is $1000 (about £520).

By the way, mine has the Custom Shop decal as well...

wings.jpg

Whoever told you there is a "standard" version was mistaken. All the 339's are made in the Memphis factory where the other ES models are made, and the entire factory is considered to be under the "Custom Shop" corporate umbrella (there are lots of threads in the "Custom" section of this forum where the administrator explains this). It's not the same as the Nashville Custom Shop where the one-off's are made for artists who special order them, but at the same time it's not the main "Gibson USA" factory where the other production line models are made. All ES339's come from the Memphis Custom shop with a certificate of authenticity and a case with a gold "gibson custom" logo. My ES339 has a gold 'Gibson custom' decal on the back of the headstock as well.

If there is a price difference, it might be the "figured" model ES339 with a flame top instead of a plain top. If it's a huge price difference then it's the ES359 with gold hardware and multiply binding.

In the USA there is only one brick-and-mortar retailer (Guitar Center) where you can buy the ES-339, but there are a few loosely affiliated online retailers who can get them for you as well. Canadian dealers apparently have no problem getting them, so I hope that on your side of the pond you can get one through your favorite local shop. I would recommend trying the two neck profiles (fifties or thirty-over-sixty) before you buy, if it's possible, since they don't really match the necks on any other models.

I love mine, so I highly recommend you try one out.

• 1 year later...

Guitar Junkie , perhaps you can help clarify some of the Canadian options.

Per above, we know that all ES-339s are:

-made in Memphis custom shop

-available in a fat 50s or thin 60s neck profile

-available in plain top antique red; antique vintage sunburst; light caramel burst

-the current Canadain price point appears to be starting at $1999 .

Questions

1) the antique red also marketted as 'plain top' .I assume this simply means 'not sunburst', and that the plain top still has a high gloss laquered stain finsh correct? Is there any 'grain' to the wood??

2) Sometimes the sunbrust models are referred by users as "figured"... but MF sells a "figured" version for about $1000 more, so 'figured' does NOT simply mean a sunburst colour, correct? Ref: Gibson Custom ES-339 Figured Semi-Hollow Electric Guitar here at MF. I also note that the colour choice here are different, ie Cherry and Vintage Sunburst. Are these the 'flame' finishes??

3) Re the EXCLUSIVE model shown here at Gibson.com,

a) is it available in Canada?

[thumbup] is it the same as the one shown here? : here at MF?

c) how does it differ from the the entry level ES-339's?

4) Are there still more 339 models?

Many thanks.

1) the antique red also marketted as 'plain top' .I assume this simply means 'not sunburst'' date=' and that the plain top still has a high gloss laquered stain finsh correct? Is there any 'grain' to the wood??[/quote']

Plaintop refers to the pattern of the grain in the wood. For instance the flamed top (using a CS356 as an example)

CS356_Small.jpg

There are two models of the ES 339. They include the plaintop (no striation patterns in the wood) that sells for $1999. These are available in Red, Vintage Sunburst and Caramel Burst.

The plaintop model is available in the high gloss nitrocellulose finish.

2) Sometimes the sunbrust models are referred by users as "figured"... but MF sells a "figured" version for about $1000 more' date=' so 'figured' does NOT simply mean a sunburst colour, correct? Ref: Gibson Custom ES-339 Figured Semi-Hollow Electric Guitar here at MF. I also note that the colour choice here are different, ie Cherry and Vintage Sunburst. Are these the 'flame' finishes??

The models that are referred to as figured would be the ES 339 model for $1000 more. That would be this one, here. It is similar to the guitar in the image above except the figuring of the wood or the flaming of the wood is less than the picture. Any finish can be applied to any wood because it is the wood that has the flames in it. Not the finish.

3) Re the EXCLUSIVE model shown here at Gibson.com' date='

a) is it available in Canada?

[thumbup is it the same as the one shown here? : here at MF?

c) how does it differ from the the entry level ES-339's?

4) Are there still more 339 models?

Many thanks.

The ES 339 model listed on Gibson's website is the plain regular one that sells for $1999. They don't list it the flamed top/figured top version.

The cheapest price for any ES339 is $1999.

The only variations to that model is the flamed/figured top for $1000 ish more and the plaintop ES 339's that come with a special run of finishes. They have a black ES339 limited run and also a aquamarine kinda colour.

I believe the link to the ES 339 product page for $2915 is a set of limited finishes because the picture doesn't load for me and the description says nothing about a figured top.

As additional information: The Memphis division merged with the Custom Shop division in 2005.

Stijn Vergeest

Gibson Europe Customer Service

00800-4GIBSON1

00800-44427661

www.gibson.com

service.europe@gibson.com

Fabulous guitar, although I picked up a couple finish cracks after less than a year somehow. No idea. Still plays fine. I like how they used the black filler to make the grain really pop on the neck. It's a nice look.

I opted for the 30/60 neck and it feels about as substantial as the "50's" neck on my LP Deluxe although the profile is slightly flatter.

• 1 month later...

You can get the figured top one in the "mom and pop" stores but not the regular "plain top." Got a great deal on mine...

RocketMan, That's one beautiful guitar.

1) So I gather its this one : $3249 ES-339-Figured, and NOT this one: $1999 ES-339. Correct?

2) One other question. When deciding on the figured version did you also consider the simialr sized 359 ( described as the dressed-up 339), which seems to be in the same price range, ie $2999 ES-359-AAA-Flame-Maple or $3009 ES-359

#3249:

515964.015_sn-CS050579_close_angle.jpg

$1999:

515256.015_sn-CS051058_close_angle.jpg

$2999:

569555.jpg

$3009

546841jpg.jpg

Archived