Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Custom VS Les Paul Supreme?

The Metallian

The Les Paul Custom is a better made guitar. I recently tried out a LP Supreme and didn't like it at all. It sounded duller than my 2007 LP Custom and the playability was a lot different. I also didn't like the chambered body on the Supreme. But who knows? You might like it.

Think of the Custom as the Cadillac of Les Pauls. Regular Customs became Custom Shop guitars in 2004 but they're really just dressed up Gibson USA guitars...sort of like what a Cadillac Escalade is to a Chevy Suburban. The Supreme is a Gibson USA guitar. Where the Custom may be better is in the quality department - better fretwork, attention to detail, etc.

If you do decide to get a Custom, I suggest skipping the regular Custom and getting a historic ('54 or '57) or a '68 Custom.

I may be wrong, but I think you need to clarify (or others need to be clear) if you're talking any Custom Shop guitar, or specifically the model called the Les Paul Custom. That model (also Custom Shop these days) has 3 ply binding, a bound headstock, an inlaid headstock, and binding on the body's back as well. I'd have to look up a source to be sure (but someone here will surely know) but I think they have the 60's slim tapered neck and come with 57 Classic pups (my favorite). Great guitars!

I may be wrong, but I think you need to clarify (or others need to be clear) if you're talking any Custom Shop guitar, or specifically the model called the Les Paul Custom. That model (also Custom Shop these days) has 3 ply binding, a bound headstock, an inlaid headstock, and binding on the body's back as well. I'd have to look up a source to be sure (but someone here will surely know) but I think they have the 60's slim tapered neck and come with 57 Classic pups (my favorite). Great guitars!

I believe he was comparing the "Les Paul Supreme" to the "Les Paul Custom".

Is there a Custom with carved flame maple back and top?

(Or quilt?) Because the Supreme is looking good no matter

what you say about the quality in the details.

(The Supreme is good for the eye but not for the ear...?)

As you mabe understand I´m having trouble in finding a new

"dream" guitar.

The few supremes that i have played were very nice, good fret work, attention to detail etc. but there is a large segment of Gibson fans that will really only stick with the tried and true, the guitars that have been in production for years, the standard, custom all of the reissues R9 R6 etc. and the supreme is a relative new comer, maybe 7 or 8 years, not an "original" anyway in the age of the internet most make there decision to purchase based on looks rather than feel, tone, sound etc.

my suggestion to you is to try and find a custom, supreme, standard, a place that has a few les pauls, play them, then make your decision and by the way, just because a custom that you play sounds and

feels good, if you don't purchase it then and try to duplicate it via the internet, good luck, after all they are made my people and machines and they are wood so they are all

different, buy the one that feels good and sounds good, worry less about the flame and more about the sound. i could tell 100 people this and about 5 will do it, the rest will still

get the one that looks the best, believing that they all sound and feel the same, not true.

Archived