Gibson Brands Forums

2007 Epi LP Standard

Guest CheapShoes

Guest CheapShoes

Hello: I'm brand new here, just joined because I purchased a new (used) Epiphone LP Standard, and found this great friendly place. The information about "fakes and knockoffs" is disturbing, but I'm coming from the Fender world, and there it's more ameusing than scary (obvious or poorly-made fakes, like an Eric Clapton "Blackie" Telecaster), and not as sophisticated knockoffs as for Gibsons and Epis I guess. Anyhow, this is a cherryburst standard, serial: EE071102949. I assume this is 2007 - but what is EE?. It had the made in China, set-up in US stickers, that I promptly removed.

Some observations: I picked this up trading in a Ibanez Artcore and a Korean Parker Tele, neither I could get along with. The size, shape, and feel of the neck (nice stiff single piece mahogany neck) and the sustain really attracted me to this guitar, even though it was in deplorable used condition at the GC. Setup: lowest non-buzz action can easily be achieved with a straight flat-neck; however the notes are somewhat dead and plinkety. Adding just a little relief and action (and the rod appears to be bidirectional), suddenly the neck wood comes alive and vibrant. The frets seem medium, not medium-jumbo. The pickups are kind of weak to modern standards (peeked under the bridge and it says Epiphone, and some stickers one I think stating HOTCH). Bridge Pup is somewhat weak and a little dry, but the neck Pup is plenty powerful. Weaker pups have advantages as you cen get more tone from the amp, and more room to play with the tone knobs, but ... harder to get a sweet or singing tone. What do we know about these PUPs? This isn't a fake is it? Lastly, overall build is quite good, about on-par with three other Asian-built guitars I have ranging from $400- 900 new). Issues: there is some slight sloppyness with QC paint job right were the neck joins on each side (paint covers part of the binding, didn't adhere comepletely before they applied the poly, and the color doesn't match perfectly because it's a burst afterall) - but you have to be close to see that little strip of red. Also, there is a faint black marking on the edge of most fretboard inlays (perhaps marking where they go on the wood, or on the edge of the inlay itself) - but they are very well set, and rosewood fetboard is super good looking wood.

One other curios thing: the back is a gorgeous banded tiger-eye like mahogany, but I soon discovered that (like the top) it is a veneer. The body looks to be an anormous slab of Mahogany, but they put this 1/16" beautiful Mahog veneer on the back - I guess an experimental thing or something. The top veneer is very thin 1/16" or less, but also the poly is also very thin, way thinner compared to Fenders. Tone is solidm, but a little lacking playing clean due to the Pups (dry sounding, not sweet?), and that may just need a little getting used to with the amp, or? Oh, and it's very well-balanced when hanging - many guitars are not, and looks like ROCK.

Cheers.

The EE refers to the QuingDao (spelling?), China Epiphone plant (I have an '07 as well, manufactured there....). I'd like to think GC would not sell a fake (used or new),. as they are an authorized Epi retailer and would likely stand to be in deep crap if they did so... but, if you can post pics, there are some things on fakes that are giveaways as to their authenticity. There's a lot of good info/reading in two stickied threads at the Epi section of MyLesPaul forums...

MLP Epiphones

.... Bridge Pup is somewhat weak and a little dry, but the neck Pup is plenty powerful.

Have you confirmed it is not the switch that is not working and not the pickup is too dry?

I don't think it's a fake Epi, fake Epis do not have the Epi PUs unless they were changed. Just verify the serial number's font size is exactly the same for all numbers and letters, usually fakes have different sizes on letters and numbers. Also pickup switch has EPIPHONE engraved on it and cables inside control cavity are very well organized, fakes are all scrambled.

I don't think it's a fake Epi, fake Epis do not have the Epi PUs unless they were changed.

Not necessarily so... plenty of fakes come with

epi branded parts....

..... and cables inside control cavity are very well organized, fakes are all scrambled.

....Epi is not known for the best looking wiring... And, the Serial number (larger than "normal" font EE) is but one giveaway....not to mention, Epi stopped using the letter prefix on their serial numbers. Given the guitar was bought from GC, I'd trust it s real. Investigate, and if proves to be a fake, I'd think a nice lawsuit would be at your disposal :)

Guest CheapShoes

Wiring is OK, but definately wouldn't win awards. The black shielding paint job is downright amateur sloppy and hit-or-miss, but wiring is solid (they just kept the full length of the PUP leads and wrapped around a bit to save it all. Interesting there is a plastic quick-change connector for one of the PUPs in the pot cavity though - may not be for both PUPs. I don't see any "Epiphone" label on the switch, but also can't figure where one could add lettering anyway - switched are all business, and no room for a label (never seen brand labelling on a Fender, ESP, or Schecter switch or pot either for that matter). So - what kind of HOTCH PUPs are these - are they different in 2007 than 2010? Ceramic? (sound a bit like it). To the other point, I don't understand why somone would make a fake guitar using genuine parts, as that would cost more to make than the original, not to mention needing a mini-factory and skilled artisans of your own to do it, and then it would be equivalent to the original. However, perhaps buying an unfinished factory second out the back door in China for next to nothing, and refurbing it for less cost to sell as official, I could believe. This guitar has some things that look a bit fakey, and other things that look very legit. The Bridge knobs are almost parallel to the neck knobs, but not quite - for instance. Not bad like the fake guitar examples, but not 100% either. The pegs are slightly closer to the edge on the treble side than on the Bass, but no single one is out of alignment with the others, and not as bad as the web examples. But if legit, maybe this was the first year or so of the factory and they didn't quite have a iso-9000 system down? By the way the serial numbering/lettering is perfect.

CS

Yes, yes...(Wring hands, wring hands)... must see PICTURES!!!!!

Regarding the Pups -

The "Typical" pups used in both Epi LPs and G-400s are:

Bridge - HOTCH (G), Alnico V magnet, around 13.5Kohms, aka "Alnico Classic Plus".

Neck - 57CH (G), Alnico V Magnet, around 8.5Kohms, aka "Alnico Classic".

"Epiphone Pickups Specification/Description List"

http://epi.p3net.net/wiki/index.php/Epiphone_Pickups

I don't see any "Epiphone" label on the switch, but also can't figure where one could add lettering anyway - switched are all business, and no room for a label (never seen brand labelling on a Fender, ESP, or Schecter switch or pot either for that matter).

I'm not going to try and describe where the stamp goes, but you can see it in this pic:

N_LPfeat3.jpg

There is usually also an Epiphone stamp on the jack. It's not a determining factor by any means though, I've seen plenty of unstamped switches on Epiphones.

Considering your pickups have the right markings and stickers, and your serial number looks legit, I would have trouble believing it would be fake.

Regarding tone, I'd suggest reserving your judgment until replacing the stock electronics. They are, put simply, ♥♥♥♥ty. I personally consider Epiphone's Alnico Classic pickups to be pretty good.

Archived