Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Annihilation V

Annihilette

• 1 month later...

I've been eyeing that guitar since it first came out. How does it play? How do the pups sound clean and distorted. Can the neck pup get bluesy if you want it to? How is the balance of the guitar? Please tell us more about it and show some pics and a sound clip would be most excellent.

Rewd.

It looks to be packed with good quality features and kit judging by this page:-

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Flying-V/Epiphone/Jeff-Waters-Annihilation-V/Specs.aspx

I really want a 24 fret guitar and I'll bet this will drop in price significantly as tends to happen with sig guitars.

Don't like the fret 12 marker though. Without that you could get a new TR cover and have a classy non-sig flying V.

Alan

It looks to be packed with good quality features and kit judging by this page:-

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Flying-V/Epiphone/Jeff-Waters-Annihilation-V/Specs.aspx

I really want a 24 fret guitar and I'll bet this will drop in price significantly as tends to happen with sig guitars.

Don't like the fret 12 marker though. Without that you could get a new TR cover and have a classy non-sig flying V.

Alan

Hey Alan,

Yeah I've been trying to get my local guitar shop to order one so I can try it out. They haven't made their order for Epi this year yet. The guitar appears to be well made as most of the mid to upper line guitars are. The phenolic FB is a little mysterios to me. You sure wouldn't have to worry about keeping it oiled.

I agree that the devil inlay is a little over the top but I could live with it if it plays and sounds as good as I think it will. The absence of a tone control doesn't bother me I use my amp and pup selection to make the tone anyways. I always have the tone cranked all the way up.

A special note: I recently took the neck pup out of my Epi Prophecy SG GX. I was amazed. The neck tenon could not have a tighter fit if you wanted it to. Not a gap anywhere. The body was also solid with no laminating or gaps. I then checked the pots and they both measured 500K. That guitar is made as good as any SG by Gibson at 3-5 times the cost. I've never seen a $5000 Gibson taken apart so I can't comment on thse higher priced guitars. That's the best $700 I have ever spent and the Epi HS cases aren't too shabby either. [thumbup]

Rewd

Well...Kinda. His original Hamer V, while not identical to the Epis is pretty damn close.

Hey Hungrycat, let's give him a little slack. He apparently was stoked by his new V and it's one of his 1st posts. I think he meant that a lot of sig. guitars are not actually played live by the name on the guitar which is true. Some exceptions but not many.

Hey Hungrycat, let's give him a little slack. He apparently was stoked by his new V and it's one of his 1st posts. I think he meant that a lot of sig. guitars are not actually played live by the name on the guitar which is true. Some exceptions but not many.

I can't think of any !

Wow... 24 frets on 24.75

wouldn't you need tiny nubile hands to be able to play on that thing?

My Epi Prophecy SG GX is set up the same way. It plays like any other SG by Gibson or Epi. It just pretty much determines where the bridge is relative to the 1st fret. It's a bigger adjustment going from 25 1/2" scale to 24 3/4" scale. Somebody correct if I'm wrong about the scale of a guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X69rIzFQDY

It would be interesting to see dc resistance of the PU's and compare them to the dirty fingers in my SG prophecy.

I think it would be good to play them both side by side so to speak

Dirty Fingers- High Output

Annhil V- Med Output

Ive played one, its worth the cash %100, but im saving up for a nighthawk and a SG. [biggrin]

Oh, I wasn't trying to smack him down, I was just pointing out that there's a Jeff Waters Hamer V. I can't find a pic of it, so they're probably hard to come by. I remember it looking A LOT like my Hamer V, but with black binding/plastics/hardware and a solid red finish instead of trans-red.

41163_1607396824202_1214625898_31663595_5469957_n.jpg

Dirty Fingers- High Output

Annhil V- Med Output

Ive played one, its worth the cash %100, but im saving up for a nighthawk and a SG. [biggrin]

I hear you about saving for another SG. I'll bet Gibson comes out with some nice versions next year. I'm not buying anything til I see what they come out with.

Archived