Gibson Brands Forums

Anyway to fix the electrics without cracking open the body?

4Birdman

This thing has seen better days. Overall the outside isn't bad for a 1951 Guitar that lived uncased in my parents attic for 20 years and on a guitar stand in my house for the last 20. The problem is, the electronics are worn out on it. I can't get that nice fat sound out of it anymore, and one of the pots rattles to the point of obnoxiousness when you play some notes that resonate a certain way in the body.

I think I could probably get them out out the ess holes in the body, maybe out of the pickup hole, but I'm really not sure.

Anyone have any advice?

This thing has seen better days. Overall the outside isn't bad for a 1951 Guitar that lived uncased in my parents attic for 20 years and on a guitar stand in my house for the last 20. The problem is, the electronics are worn out on it. I can't get that nice fat sound out of it anymore, and one of the pots rattles to the point of obnoxiousness when you play some notes that resonate a certain way in the body.

I think I could probably get them out out the ess holes in the body, maybe out of the pickup hole, but I'm really not sure.

Anyone have any advice?

That's the only way to do it with a hollow body I'm afraid, out the F holes and/or pickup hole(s). Looks like a fairly simple setup on that guitar though, one pickup, two pots and a jack, correct? Wouldn't be too diffiicult to remove and replace them.You could probably remove the wiring completely in tact through the pickup hole.

I think the Century is fully hollow so it's a fairly simple job. I've done this same job on a two pickup ES175 type guitar so I'll give you a couple of tips. Before you fully unscrew the controls and jack socket tie a long length of cotton or thin string around the shaft (beneath the nut and washer if fitted) before you let it drop into the body. The string should be long enough so that when all electrics are removed the string is still hanging out of the holes in the body. All the electrics should come out easily through the pickup hole. Once it's all out change whatever you're changing one piece at a time and reattach the cotton/string etc. When you put it all back in, pulling the string should get the bits close enough so that you can use some thin nosed pliers or similar to jiggle then through the holes. A screw driver or similar through the F hole will some times help the final line up. Excluding the time it took to change the parts this job took me a little under thirty minutes and that was for two pickups, four controls, jack socket and switch. Hope that helps.

Here is part one of a video on how to properly swap out PUP's and electronics. This should help you out.

Parts for doing this are available on their website.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p29QN4ycHMU?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p29QN4ycHMU?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

not sure if I can insert embedded video, if not here is the link.

as far as I know, only things like

capacitors & vacuum tubes wear out in electroncs.

So, sounds to me like a good cleaning of the pots

are required and a reinstall and that would be that.

The pickups should be fine, albeit a bit dusty...

so a cleaning there too... with maybe some

LPS Contact Cleaner from the LPS spray can.

Other than that, the wire certainly didn't wear out,

nor the pots for that matter... they're just dusty that's all.

It is possible to snug-up a potentiometer (pot)

from the top side only...

firstly, turn the pot shaft all the way to the right.

2nd - pull up gently on that shaft and then...

3rd - get a wrench big enough to grab that control nut

that tightens the pot to the panel.

Snug it up gently and you are done.

I've done that many times with antique radio potentiometers.

CHEEKS

Archived