Gibson Brands Forums

wire wool

invasion

Um.........I've never treated a fretboard, or steel wooled any frets......Or, adjusted a truss rod.............

Retired now, it's time......Think I'll start with fretboard conditioning.....Member C.B. is right about

Gibby frets; They are flat when stock.....Gotta find someone to "crown" them..........

( Cheaper than simply buying more guitars; not as fun though )....................

Serioulsy? You've never polished your frets? I can understand not adjusting the truss rod. Its not something that everyone feels comfortable doing, but you should really give fret polishing a try. It makes a HUGE difference in playability. I know it doesnt seem like a big deal, but it really does do wonders. Its like night and day. I think that someone as skilled as you would really appreciate the difference in feel. [thumbup]

I never ever use steel(wire) wool on an electric guitar because the dust from that stuff is insidious and can get into the pickups and control cavity no matter how careful you are.I always use a hard bristled toothbrush and a Scotchbrite abrasive pad or some other brand of non metallic wire wool substitute.

When I adjust the truss rod I just loosen the tension on the strings to nil and turn the Allen key 1/4 turn at a time and wait a while for things to settle down after tuning back up to pitch.When I think that I've found the perfect adjustment I leave the guitar over night to be on the safe side.I know that all this sounds tedious but it's this way that gives you the most exacting results.

I never ever use steel(wire) wool on an electric guitar because the dust from that stuff is insidious and can get into the pickups and control cavity no matter how careful you are.I always use a hard bristled toothbrush and a Scotchbrite abrasive pad or some other brand of non metallic wire wool substitute.

My way works, dilute ammonia cleans off all the crap, T Cut polish then mineral oil.

Never used wire wool, it gets everywhere.

This is why you mask your pickups off completely before proceeding, I find it far easier to use the "auto maskers" thus mitigating the need to mask up the fretboard, but I always mask up the pickups, I then brush off any residual metal residue before removing the masking, have never had a problem with the metal residue entering my pickup cavities yet.

Archived