Gibson Brands Forums

How many guitars in a run.

Bosun

Hy Guys

There probably is,nt a stock answer to this question, but I would like to find out how many of the Gibson Custom Shop SJ 300,s were made, does anybody know.

Also when I use either my SJ 100 or Sj 300 at a gig I tend to get a lot of base resonance, I run them ( one at a time) direct to a Roland acoustic amp, and then DI to my PA, would it be better to either mike up the guitar amp, or would useing a feedback buster placed into the sound hole stop the resonating problem but spoil the overall sound quality.

Many Thanks

Terry

Hy Guys

There probably is,nt a stock answer to this question, but I would like to find out how many of the Gibson Custom Shop SJ 300,s were made, does anybody know.

Also when I use either my SJ 100 or Sj 300 at a gig I tend to get a lot of base resonance, I run them ( one at a time) direct to a Roland acoustic amp, and then DI to my PA, would it be better to either mike up the guitar amp, or would useing a feedback buster placed into the sound hole stop the resonating problem but spoil the overall sound quality.

Many Thanks

Terry

I'd certainly try a feedback buster as you describe. I have used one in the past and did not notice any significant difference to the plugged in sound. Now I run the SWD (which has a notch filter) usually through my Marshall AS50 (which also has a notch filter) and can dail out this problem easily.

Have you tried raising the amp off the floor?

I've not tried micing up to cure this problem. My immediate thought would be that, if it is resonant feedback causing a string to involuntarily vibtrate, I can't see how this would make a difference.

I recall using a capo and raising the key a step of a particular song, to avoid the resonant frequency.

Therm. We need your input mate. It's physics!

You haven't said how your guitars are amplified. Do they have undersaddles, are you miking them up etc. It's hard to know what to advise without this information.

You haven't said how your guitars are amplified. Do they have undersaddles, are you miking them up etc. It's hard to know what to advise without this information.

Hy

I use the guitar pick up (Undersaddled) through a Boss Chorus peddle, to a Roland AC 60 amp, I then DI to a Yamaha 12 channel mixer to a pair of 10 inch JBL Eon 300 watt powered speakers. Useing the same set up with my Takamine I dont have the problem, but then again that is a smaller model and does have the usual graphic pre amp on the guitar, would that make the difference, as my Gibsons have just the volume control in the sound hole.

Many Thanks

Terry

Hy

I use the guitar pick up (Undersaddled) through a Boss Chorus peddle, to a Roland AC 60 amp, I then DI to a Yamaha 12 channel mixer to a pair of 10 inch JBL Eon 300 watt powered speakers. Useing the same set up with my Takamine I dont have the problem, but then again that is a smaller model and does have the usual graphic pre amp on the guitar, would that make the difference, as my Gibsons have just the volume control in the sound hole.

Many Thanks

Terry

OK, so I think that you will find a simple feedback buster is the answer to your problem. It will not affect your amplified tone, but should eliminate the problem.

I have this problem at some venues with my D-28 which has a headway undersaddle. It's a good sounding pickup, but is prone to feedback which is eliminated by the use of a backbuster.

I have a couple of Gibsons with L R Baggs M1 active soundhole pickups. They sound really good and are very feedback resistant.

Thanks everyone for their help,

I bought the feedback buster and tried it at home last night, it certainly seemed to stop the feedback problem, will have to try it out on a gig but it looks promising.

I e,mailed Gibson in America and Europe, about the number of guitars in a certain run, my SJ 300 is an 07 (I think,) but there has been no reply from either, I hope it,s not the case of them not being bothered after you have paid your money, the only reason I want to know is purely for my own interest, I worked hard for years to buy both my Gibson,s and would just like to know more about these beautifull guitars.

Thanks again

Terry

Hy Albert John

No It does,nt unfortunately, I just set the volume in the sound hole to about 9.0.clock, and then worked it from the amp, no problem in my situation as I have the amp to my side and within easy reach while gigging. At the moment tho I have only used it at home for a couple of hours. I suppose it,s a case of swings and roundabouts, but it certainly does cut the feedback problem out.

Terry

Hy Albert John

No It does,nt unfortunately, I just set the volume in the sound hole to about 9.0.clock, and then worked it from the amp, no problem in my situation as I have the amp to my side and within easy reach while gigging. At the moment tho I have only used it at home for a couple of hours. I suppose it,s a case of swings and roundabouts, but it certainly does cut the feedback problem out.

Terry

Of course. I rarely alter the volume on the guitar when playing so I can see that would work.

Good to hear the feedback buster is working. Do you notice any change to the plugged in tone? I never did but would be interested to know what you think.

Cheers

Archived