Gibson Brands Forums

guitar solo's that don't "fit" the song?

S t e v e

Nothin' But A Good Time is a good solo - and I'm NOT a Poison fan in the least.

OK, I'll grant you that.

Also, I am somewhat a Poison fan, but seriously, C.C. DeVille is not very good.

Richie Kotzen's pretty good. If you haven't heard Native Tongue (IMO their best album,) then I highly recommend you check it out. That album brought a whole new level of sophistication to their music.

Orianthi?

Yeah, I'm not a fan either--her lead style is very generic and sort of "been there, done that". Bad shredding in bad pop songs.

And I'm not just saying this out of contempt for the shred style--you guys have to remember, I'm a fan of Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert, Yngwie Malmsteen, Tony MacAlpine, Marty Friedman, and (I'd say especially) Michael Lee Firkins. It's just that she's genericized the style, and at the same time she's had more mainstream exposure after the release of one album (the fact that she played with the late Michael Jackson undoubtedly has a lot to do with it, as well as the fact that she's radio-friendly and supposedly "hot") than any of the people I've listed have received period. Oh well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7b-_YcACuQ

Vai and Santana think she's pretty good. Not a huge fan of her either although I think she's decently cute.

Rocky - GREAT album!!!

Wasn't it Death Alley Driver with the bad guitar/synth?

I always liked Power, never had an opinion about the solo. Great riffs.

Stone Cold is one of my all-time favorites, the organ part sounds like an organ, not a carnival ride.

Killer solo with the odd time signature, loved it for nearly 30 years now!

I could never get the riff for Power. Axe showed how to play it, but it just didn't seem right. It sounds like there is a drone it. Fantastic riff though

I'll cast another vote for Eddie Van Halen -- this time for the solo in "Beat It".

A crappy song, and he should have never played a solo for it, no matter how much they payed him...

funny you should say that, eddie refused to accept any money for it as he wasn't happy with the solo...

Archived