Gibson Brands Forums

The Gibson Tour Trailer is Coming! (9/10/10

ksiegel

Okay, so the Gibson Trailer is coming to Schenectady, NY on Friday, 9/10/10.

I've never been to a Gibson event, but I've been a Drome Sound customer for nearly 40 years, and the owner has taken care of me many times.

While I don't think I'm in the market for a new guitar (who isn't?), I'm interested.

Any suggestions on what I should be looking at/playing/ drooling over?

Thanks!

Okay, so the Gibson Trailer is coming to Schenectady, NY...

Any suggestions on what I should be looking at/playing/ drooling over?

Thanks!

Just be prepared to play and drool. Gibson brings their electric and acoustic trailers to the Dallas and Arlington guitar shows every year. They bring their best Custom Shop stuff.

I went, I drooled, I played.

the acoustic trailer was my first stop - played the J200 and J185, as well as the little Arlo Guthrie parlour model (What a sweet guitar that one is!), and finally - for the first time in my life - played a Hummingbird. man, what a feel and sound!

A comment I made to one of the other folks in thr trailer was how impressed I was that ALL off the guitars were STAYING IN TUNE!

Then off to the Electric trailer - all Custom Shop, no Robots or Dark Tigers. Lots of LP models, the lowest MSRP was around $3500 - I was told that's because they are Custom Shop - Gibson USA is less expensive. All of the guitars get played through an effects box/pre-amp... J6? L6? Line 6? something like that. I was impressed that I could play the Johnny A signature guitar and the ES175 single pickup and actually tell the difference... While I was expecting a minor difference (After all, we're "playing the pickups, not the wood" when run through an amp), I found that the ES-175 was a very clean sound, awhile all of the solid body and semi-hollow instruments had a certain amount of noticeable distortion.

Makes me want to actually plug my Epi ES-175 reissue into an amp, for the first time.

They gave away a melody maker and a Vox amp, but as usual, I didn't win. I didn't even win a T-Shirt.

But theey gave me a Guitar Pick. (The Gibson employee in the trailer called it SWAG -"Stuff I Wish Ah Got")

Archived