Gibson Brands Forums

The proper way to age a finish

pippy

I hadda Austin Healey 3000 and a Sunbeam Alpine in the 60s-70s.

Both were great fun but far from the fastest cars I'd owned. Just probably, as I said, the most fun.

m

You continue to climb ever higher in my esteem, Milo, and you were already held high enough!

I walk with Chloe (my 6-y-o Avatar) the 250 yards to school every morning and, in fine weather, one of our neighbours takes his son to the same school in his Carmen Red A-H 3000 Mk III.

Much as I deplore the unnecessary use of cars I totally applaud the guy for adding 'True Beauty' to an otherwise everyday task! It brings a huge grin to everyone who sees them. Even Chloe is asking how soon I can get my 'sports car' (her words!) back...

Milo! : Snaps or it ... well it did...but I'd truly love to see pics of your A-H if you have any....

None of the Healey... @#$%@#$%

You can guess how it goes: The guy who takes pix for a living has few or none of himself? Sheesh.

I do have a couple of me with the Alpine. Funny thing about the Alpine is that in several city blocks of "drag racing," the little four-banger engine would outrun the 289 V8 engine. Why? It was far better balanced and the bigger engine weighed down the front and the back wheels hopped quite a while. The little Alpine was wonderful on "blacktop" paved tight turns in the mountains, by the way.

I'll see if I can dig them out soon.

BTW, almost ended up with an Elva to turn into a street machine. #@$%#$% Never happened. Long, long sad story on all 3 cars...

m

Alas for age and need for more room...

Both were great fun but far from the fastest cars I'd owned. Just probably, as I said, the most fun.

m

Love these cars to bits...they are making close replica 3000's to this day somewhere, unbelievably my local garage is a dealer for them!! But how about this style wagon...to my eyes pure beauty....

The fastest car I ever owned was a Fiat 124 Spyder

It looked almost like this one:

1978_fiat_124_spider-pic-43065.jpeg

But this is not mine. Mine had spoked wheel covers and is probably in automobile heaven right now.

I had it up to 135mph. The speedometer went up to 140 but the tach hit the yellow line at 135.

It's name was Freddie and it was a lot of fun to drive.

Back on topic.

Checking on a guitar doesn't bother me. I don't have time to let my instruments change temperature gradually. I gig with them and I do one-nighters. That means, out of the house and into the hot mini-van. Out of the mini-van and into an overly air conditioned venue. Then back in the van for the trip home. Once home it's back in the house. I can't think of a better way to treat a musical instrument.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

Alas for age and need for more room...

m

I had a red Healey 3000 when I was a senior in HS. One of by buds on the baseball team had a blue 100-6. Our field was several miles down the interstate from the school. He and I used to race to practice every day. What a great car.

Yeah...

The problem with my older Healey (British racing green, btw, and technically the 100-6 which most folks never heard of) was with the side curtains and lack of a heater that would function in the north of the U.S. I remember taking one trip to Chicago wearing a parka and snow pants and a long winter dress coat backwards at the front. Darned engine would start regardless of temp, but driving it wasn't all that fun in winter. Good gas mileage at 80 mph, though.

Another time I made the same trip and passed a 'Vette in a long, sweeping corner and hit the electric overdrive switch. <grin> Oh - no mufflers. The girl I was visiting hated it 'cuz it wasn't "civilized." We'd actually had our first date with a 400-mile overnight ride to my folks' place in the mountains - with the windshield unbolted and in my living room. <grin> Her hair didn't unsnarl for a week. I got the Alpine 'cuz it was more civil and then she put a rod through the block.

Actually the fastest car I had was a '61 Chrysler. Made one trip from a downtown-to-downtown 37-mile stretch on streets, 2-lane and 4-lane in 17 minutes flat to get to a classical guitar concert. It probably wasn't a wise speed to drive, especially on the 2 and 4-lane highways but... I had good tires on it at the time and I was much, much younger and more foolish than I am now.

m

Yeah, my side curtains were pretty scratched-up and hard to see through by the time I got the car, but the heater worked like a champ. It would drive me out of the car on all but the coldest days. I used to drive to school in January with the side curtains stashed behind the seat with just the heater going on a 40o F day.

Mr. N...

You got that right. The Alpine's heater worked fine down to about freezing and that was about it there, too.

Never saw it more than -40 I'm aware of, though. And at that temp, wind child doesn't add much of a problem.

GUITAR AGING - seriously, the checkering on a guitar is pretty likely in that kinda weather, too. Not too much to do about it.

m

GUITAR AGING - seriously, the checkering on a guitar is pretty likely in that kinda weather, too. Not too much to do about it.

m

Whaddya know? Back on topic...

LOL!

And M; I prefer the grille of the 100 / 6...

Archived