Gibson Brands Forums

J 45 Bone nut and saddle???

jrfmgb

I am new to this group and this question has probably been hashed over several times, but I will ask anyway -

I have a 2004 J45 and the folks at Gibson Customer Service have informed me that this model came stock with a tusq nut and saddle. I have changed out the plastic pins with bone and got the expected improvement in tone. I am wondering if it is worth the effort on replacing the nut and saddle with bone. I have read that Gibson prefers tusq in the models that they make for amplification, but have never heard why. The economy has closed my local music store and its luthier staff are in the wind, so it is now a two hour drive to get to a source to do this work.

Any input or direction to previous threads on this subject would be appreciated.

Thank you

Yes, I do think it is correct that Gibson's equipped with a factory pickup wear Tusq at each end of the string bed as original equipment. It is a synthetic material that seems to work very well with a UST pickup, being very hard, dense and consistant. It works very well for transmitting string vibration to the UST. But I think it suffers acoustically, being brittle, thin and when the guitar is pushed hard, even harsh sounding. As the nut/saddle materials get softer and less dense, the acoustic tone warms, becoming more rounded, more smoothed. Bone is a good choice: releatively inexpensive and very good at calming things down. Ivory is the warmest of materials used for nut and saddle, being quite soft by comparison, rounding off everything. Think of a cymbal struck with a drumstick v. struck with a felt-headed mallet. That, in a nutshell, is Tusq v. Ivory in nut/saddle materials. While Tusq might be the best material for a UST amplified guitar, to me it is the worse for acoustic tone. Of course, your mileage may vary.

I recently replaced the factory pins in my TVSJ with the Colosi bone pins. I think there was a slight improvement in sound quality, but not as much as a difference that can be had with various strings. However, the fit, finish and function of the Colosi bone pins is far superior, and therefore makes them very worthwile, IMHO.

I will get the bone saddle, however, the fact that I have to send my factory saddle in and the wait time caused me to put that off for a whie.

Hope this helps...

I will get the bone saddle, however, the fact that I have to send my factory saddle in and the wait time caused me to put that off for a whie.

You don't have to send your saddle in for duplication. Colosi is a master at saddle making. I am most impressed with his spot-on radius, matching the Gibson fingerboard radius perfectly. Such a match makes for very good setups, assuming all else is right. He ships the saddles tall, only requiring bottom sanding to proper height. A little sandpaper, elbow grease and a few minutes changes everything!

Thats interesting that Tusq is the better for UST pups.

I just ordered bone saddle and pins from Bob for my SWDec, which i primarily use live. Will be interesteing to compare the tone plugged and unplugged with both bone and Tusq. I just have to wait for the things to arrive in my neck of the woods from the good ol' US of A ..

Yes, I do think it is correct that Gibson's equipped with a factory pickup wear Tusq at each end of the string bed as original equipment. It is a synthetic material that seems to work very well with a UST pickup, being very hard, dense and consistant. It works very well for transmitting string vibration to the UST. But I think it suffers acoustically, being brittle, thin and when the guitar is pushed hard, even harsh sounding. As the nut/saddle materials get softer and less dense, the acoustic tone warms, becoming more rounded, more smoothed. Bone is a good choice: releatively inexpensive and very good at calming things down. Ivory is the warmest of materials used for nut and saddle, being quite soft by comparison, rounding off everything. Think of a cymbal struck with a drumstick v. struck with a felt-headed mallet. That, in a nutshell, is Tusq v. Ivory in nut/saddle materials. While Tusq might be the best material for a UST amplified guitar, to me it is the worse for acoustic tone. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Archived