Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage guitars

billyboy

anything is possible, check your local Craigslist, but I really doubt you'll find any acoustic that plays or sounds like your MK.

Do you know what MK stands for? It stands for Dr. Michael Kasha, bioacoustic-physicist-scientist of the University of Florida who analized the acoustic sound properties of acoustic guitars and applied the findings to the MK guitars looking for the Holy Grail of acoustic sound. Check the page below:

http://www.jthbass.com/kasha.html

Yeah I knew it was a collaberation of him and Schneider but I wasn't aware of how prolific they were in producing so many guitars and over such an expanded period of time. Makes me appreciate my MK-72 even more now. Yeah and also the producer of our CD had commented on how easy it was to set up to record with it by pretty much just flattening out the graph.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The guitars in my thumbnail are Gibson's attempt to market guitars with Low Impedance pickups. '74 Les Paul Signature Guitar & Bass, '69 Les Paul Professional Guitar & origional Les Paul Bass, & '73 Les Paul Recording Guitar & Triumph Bass. The amp is a 1969 LP-12 AKA "The Monster".

DSC03679.jpg

I have a habit of collecting guitars from "Gibson's Land of Missfit Toys"!

Whoo those must be some rare birds there. The one on the far left has that same toggle switch that I have on my ES-TD 335. I called it a "phase out switch" not realizing it lowered the impedence. Man they are beauties, very impressive collection.

...I think Gibson has made a lot of great instuments that to this day, are misunderstood and underrated...

the MK Series is another un-appreciated, under-rated, and mis-understood guitar. Anyone remember the RD Series? another fiasco. But if you think about, even Fender is living off their past, they haven't invented anything new.

At least Gibson tried...

Also someone mentioned that MK Series guitars were made in Nashville, then in Kalamazoo. I don't think that was the case because the Gibson Nashville plant did not open until the late 1980's or very early 1990's if I remember correctly, I lived in Nashville from 1980 through 2006. Maybe George Gruhn would know.

Also someone mentioned that MK Series guitars were made in Nashville, then in Kalamazoo. I don't think that was the case because the Gibson Nashville plant did not open until the late 1980's or very early 1990's if I remember correctly, I lived in Nashville from 1980 through 2006. Maybe George Gruhn would know.

I think the Nashville plant opened in 1975 and the Kalamazoo plant closed around 1983. Here is part of an artical from the book "50 Years of the Gibson Les Paul".

MarkSeriesNashville.jpg

I don't remember where I read that production moved back to Kalamazoo, but this talks about the early acoustic production at the Nashville plant.

the MK Series is another un-appreciated, under-rated, and mis-understood guitar. Anyone remember the RD Series? another fiasco. But if you think about, even Fender is living off their past, they haven't invented anything new.

At least Gibson tried...

The land of Misfit Toys is also home to a couple RD Artists. I think that they are kinda cool and also under rated. One artical in an early VG Magazine was titled, "RD Artist, Ahead of their time or Timeless Turkeys". Gibson reissued the RD bodystyle, I believe last year for a while..........

78RDArtists.jpg

The land of Misfit Toys is also home to a couple RD Artists. I think that they are kinda cool and also under rated. One artical in an early VG Magazine was titled, "RD Artist, Ahead of their time or Timeless Turkeys". Gibson reissued the RD bodystyle, I believe last year for a while..........

78RDArtists.jpg

I always liked the Gumby look of the RD series.

Craig

then I stand corrected if that was the case, but the date mentioned in the article (1975) seems too close to the MK Series project, something does not match events about the dates.

the RD Series looks like an Explorer mixed with a Firebird, it looks "undecided". Never played one, so I don't know much about them.

There was another little Gibson guitar around the same time, I forget the model name, but it was from another Series too, and those were not bad, only that they seemed to have a short-scale neck.

78RDArtists.jpg

Well Grog to be perfectly honest I can't say I'm crazy about the way the RD's look but from past experiences one should not be too judgemental until you have played or heard that particular guitar. Billyboy ( Does all your collection of electrics consist of a bass and matching six string?)

then I stand corrected if that was the case, but the date mentioned in the article (1975) seems too close to the MK Series project, something does not match events about the dates.

the RD Series looks like an Explorer mixed with a Firebird, it looks "undecided". Never played one, so I don't know much about them.

There was another little Gibson guitar around the same time, I forget the model name, but it was from another Series too, and those were not bad, only that they seemed to have a short-scale neck.

I guess I will have to try to dig up the original receipt. God knows I've seemed to have saved pretty much everything else over the years. It seems it used to be less confusing dating a guitar years ago. I seem to recall finding out either the day or time of day one of my guitars had been manufactured and I wrote it down and put it in the case with the guitar. I'll have to check into that as well.

I picked up a Mark 72 about 15 years ago. After just a couple strums......... I had to have it! Even though I don't consider myself to be an acoustic guy, I figured that this would be the only acoustic I would ever need. I've read & collected quite a bit of info on them through the years and opinions are quite mixed. The results achieved by the prototypes were hard, if not imposible to reproduce in production. No two pieces of wood sound the same, so each guitar has to be judged on it's own sound and feel. If you can find one with great tone, you can most likely buy it for about half of what any other Gibson of that era would cost. After picking up an origional Mark Series store display, I bought a Mark 35 for cheap just to hang on the other hook. The sound doesn't come close to the tone of the Mark 72 I bought much earlier. They say just give it a 15 second test, if you like it, buy it. If not, let it go!

Mark7235.jpg

Well Grog to be perfectly honest I can't say I'm crazy about the way the RD's look but from past experiences one should not be too judgemental until you have played or heard that particular guitar. Billyboy ( Does all your collection of electrics consist of a bass and matching six string?)

The RD's are kind of different. The bass is extremely heavy, but the guitar isn't bad. The expansion & compression circuit, designed by Moog is cool, but I don't use them much. I like the firebust set because they have a ebony fretboard, (the black ones did also). The natural version, which I think is most common, had a maple fretboard which I've never really cared for.

The bulk of my collection does in fact consist of Guitar & Bass sets. Gibson made basses designed after their guitar models for many years, maybe to attract guitar players to play bass. I have pictured most of them in this thread, except for the ES-335/EB-2 set & the Sg/EB-3 set. I was never able to afford the origional Firebird/Thunderbird set, I may buy a newer pair someday.

was never able to afford the origional Firebird/Thunderbird set, I may buy a newer pair someday.

noooo, don't do THAT! keep them vintage, the real ones. I know where they are selling an awful condition original Firebird for an extremely ridiculous price.

noooo, don't do THAT! keep them vintage, the real ones. I know where they are selling an awful condition original Firebird for an extremely ridiculous price.

When I bought the '74 LP Sig guitar, I had a chance to buy a '64 Thunderbird bass, 2 pickup version, for about $300.00 less than I payed for the Sig. Hindsight, I should have bought it. Hard to find them without a headstock repair! But I had my sights on the Sig.

When I bought the '74 LP Sig guitar, I had a chance to buy a '64 Thunderbird bass, 2 pickup version, for about $300.00 less than I payed for the Sig. Hindsight, I should have bought it. Hard to find them without a headstock repair! But I had my sights on the Sig.

si, you should have bought it, opportunity knocks only once, like they say in Español, "solamente una vez..." Otherwise most of the Firebirds are in England and Australia I think.

btw: how are you able to attach such large images? are you using an outside host?

si, you should have bought it, opportunity knocks only once, like they say in Español, "solamente una vez..." Otherwise most of the Firebirds are in England and Australia I think.

btw: how are you able to attach such large images? are you using an outside host?

I'm using Photobucket. http://photobucket.com/

hi,

the best MK models were the MK-81 and the MK-99 because they were built by Richard Schneider himself.

I purchased a MK-81 back in 1980 from the Norlin (Gibson) Sales Rep. and still have it, it was a "demonstrator" given to the sales rep. to show to players, studios, stores, etc. It is a fabulous instrument; Nothing, absolutely no other acoustic guitar sounds like it or plays like it. I was told by the sales rep that it was built and detailed by Richard Schneider himself and it looks it, everything is so perfect, the woods are top-choice quality, the red binding everywhere, the finish still looks like glass. The removable pickguard is still in its factory envelope, and it came with 4 removable Bridge Saddles, of different heights and materials: 2 in Ebony, 2 in Melamine, and a very plush hardshell case. I started collecting MK Literature in 1978 and have a nice collection of Catalogs and Brochures of the MK Series guitars. Back then I was in Los Angeles Calif. and nobody knew much of anything about the MK Series.

I only play it at home, this instrument is a treasure and time will vindicate these guitars. I have played Martins and Guilds and to put it simply, nothing comes close to the silky rich sound of these guitars, particularly near the 5th thru 7th frets, where mine produces delicious harmonics. (personally I think Martins are way over-rated, they are a "status" symbol more than a player's instrument. you won't catch me with a Martin, been there, done that).

what I was told is that the production MK guitars, (MK-35, MK-53, and MK-72), did not come through with the expected assembly quality, and Schneider & Kasha protested to corporate about the "cutting corners" approach with the inner bracing and other aspects such as the flat finish. When corporate refused to change, and the guitars started coming back for deffects and literally falling apart, Schneider and Kasha resigned and the project collapsed. Norlin lost millions of dollars and the rest is history.

Hey Zurdo and Grog, just took in my MK-72 to a very respected guitar repair man. He's been repairing guitara for over 30 years. He repaired a Yamaki Delux for me and it's unbelieveable how nice it sounds and plays. So now I feel I can trust him to work on my MK-72. He still can't believe that not only that it's still in one piece but how it would be well worth to fix what he has found wrong with it as it is. Apparently the fret nut needs to be replaced as when it waa originally set up the groves were filed to deep and slightly out of specifieified locations where the groves are set. And apparently I've played it enough that it needs new frets. And the bridge saddle could be set lower once the frets have been replaced and it will play even better than it has in years. He emphatically stated that the "fret nut" was the heart of the guitar. Everything depends on it being set right for everything else to work as efficiently as it was originally designed to do. He placed it as 76 for what his book stated. Unfortunately to do all that and some other minor neck adjustments relaxe the truss rod pressure as it is dropping off from the 14th fret a slight amount it will cost approzimately $500.00 but assured me if the guitar has hung in there as well as it has for this many years it will be worth it to have done. Also we noticed that there is only one MK-99 made by Kasha. Wonder who has that one. And most of the MK-81 were sent back to the factory to have repairs done to them or just not returned. So if you have one that was built by Kasha you have a very precious guitar there. I don't think that there are many around built to last like yours. I would just like to hear and see and play another one good or bad. I just came back from trying all kinds of Gibson acoustics with prices varying from $999 to over $2000.00 and was not impressed at all. They do not compare even to my MK-72 that needs some work done to it. So hang in there our day will come. He said I didn't even have to worry about what the humidity levels are as the guitar has survived probably the driest and coldest weather it will ever have to contend with so it's pretty much set.

that sounds like great news Billy, I bet yours is a 1975 but the S/N reads 1976.

based on what you say about this person's reputation, then $500.00 is pocket change for a fret, nut, saddle, and neck job.

Fortunately, mine has never needed any repair work since I got it, it is pristine if I ever had a pristine-condition guitar, and according to the seller, (Norlin's Sales Rep for the Southeast), no repairs were needed during the years he had it, so I guess I got a good one.

who has the MK-99 ?? I know of a guy in Japan who has two MK-99, and two MK-81, two MK-72, two MK-53, and two MK-35; he collects the early MK guitars for the obvious reason. Trouble is, I can't read Japanese and his website is in Japanese.

same here about modern acoustics, they leave me cold, no warmth, no richness, none of them sound like the MK. Think of yours like a classic collector car, it will need maintenance sooner or later. Good to have a mechanic you can trust.

Yo billyboy, Hope your guitar plays like new when you get it back! Maybe you know this, but the saddles came in three sizes, L,N&H. Sometimes they show up on eBay. Here is a "H" that's priced kinda high... http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Mark-Series-Saddle-NOS-Guitar-Parts-/350388383228?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item5194c66dfc

My co-worker that has the Mark 81, had to take it in for touch up gluing on the seam where the two halfs of the spruce top meet. Otherwise no problem. That's the only one I've ever seen in person. It played great, but I didn't notice much difference from the Mark 72 as far as sound goes.

Grog, the MK-81 has a smoother neck and fretboard radius than a MK-72, well at least mine does, and the neck itself is choice curly Maple and Ebony. But we're back to the fact that no two identical guitars ever sound alike.

Grog, the MK-81 has a smoother neck and fretboard radius than a MK-72, well at least mine does, and the neck itself is choice curly Maple and Ebony. But we're back to the fact that no two identical guitars ever sound alike.

Hi Zurdo, I never knew there was a difference in the neck radius, but the guitar was gorgeous, a lot fancier than the Mark 72. It seemed to have the same tone, due to the rosewood body that the two models have in common.

yes, both the 81 and 99 have "thinner" / slimmer necks, the action in my 81 is very comfortable meaning low action, without buzzing, and the "crown" of the rear-center of the neck is also lower.

I've maxed out on the 500kb allowance for pictures here so I can't post a picture, I don't like photobucket because the free version is very invasive with pop-ups and other annoyances.

About 15 years ago, I answered an ad in the VG, from a guy that was selling a Mark prototype. I believe he said that it was made out of a Gibson L-5, he claimed to have the origional prints and instructions that were intended to go from Kalamazoo to Nashville. He claimed to have bought it from a friend that worked at the Kalamazoo plant along with several high end Les Pauls called "The Les Paul". Richard Schneider was also the luthier that built this high end Les Paul, in the same time frame as the Mark Series. He was just putting feelers out to see what he might get for his prototype and I wish I would have made an offer for it. I'll attach a web link to one of these Les Pauls owned by Dennis Chandler, a former Gibson Sales Rep. http://dennischandler.com/les-paul-1/

Also, here is an artical that was recently printed in the VG..

http://www.vguitar.com/features/brands/details.asp?AID=2525

Archived