Gibson Brands Forums

F-35 Lightning

deepblue

Okay... now to the tech rather than "political" side of this. <grin>

I've talked with some folks involved in the fancy new "fighter" aircraft and I'm struck by how much they're computerized compared to stuff when I was a kid. Even the old B-52 is so electronified that it ain't the same plane they started flying when I was a kid - or that in the late 1970s I knew a navigator who said it felt funny to fly in a plane older than he was.

So... to return a bit to the guitar subject, I think if we look at the jets, we might have an idea of what's ahead for amps and PA systems, if not guitars... more electronics and more electronic integration with computer type stuff...

m

Okay... now to the tech rather than "political" side of this. <grin>

I've talked with some folks involved in the fancy new "fighter" aircraft and I'm struck by how much they're computerized compared to stuff when I was a kid. Even the old B-52 is so electronified that it ain't the same plane they started flying when I was a kid - or that in the late 1970s I knew a navigator who said it felt funny to fly in a plane older than he was.

So... to return a bit to the guitar subject, I think if we look at the jets, we might have an idea of what's ahead for amps and PA systems, if not guitars... more electronics and more electronic integration with computer type stuff...

m

Jets became more computerized as they got more sophisticated. The "Fly by wire" technique started coming into play as jets started breaking the sound barrier.

A pilot has to think 10-20 miles ahead when hes flying at mach 1 and above. When youre traveling at over a mile every few seconds, your thought process couldnt possibly keep up, so the computer kicks in and makes decisions for you. thats not the only reason they are computerized, but its one of them.

Jets became more computerized as they got more sophisticated. The "Fly by wire" technique started coming into play as jets started breaking the sound barrier.

A pilot has to think 10-20 miles ahead when hes flying at mach 1 and above. When youre traveling at over a mile every few seconds, your thought process couldnt possibly keep up, so the computer kicks in and makes decisions for you.

Yep. Makes you really admire the Concorde pilots, no computerisation in those. Steam gauges everywhere, manual centre of gravity adjustment by fuel transfer, one wrong move when going supersonic and the thing will go down. They really had their work cut out for them!

Neo - I saw an F111 fly at a local airshow a couple of years ago, it's something I'll never forget. I thought the F18 was cool and I was ready to leave but then the Pig showed up and it seemed almost 10 times bigger, and a hell of a lot louder. Afterwards we met the pilot and nav. The nav was a sexy little blonde thing all of 19 years old. Couldn't believe it hehe.

Archived