Gibson Brands Forums

1957 Gibson J-50 Acoustic

dkbemb10

2010-09-18215428.jpg

2010-09-18215649_Nanty-Glo_Pennsylvania_US.jpg

2010-09-18215507_Nanty-Glo_Pennsylvania_US.jpg

2010-09-18215532_Nanty-Glo_Pennsylvania_US.jpg

Here they are... Sorry I had to use a camera on my cell phone cause my digital camera is at my dorm... Hope these are pretty clear. My only questions is the cut that's along the neck on the last picture. If you can make it out... Is that a deep scratch or some kind of repair???

Beautiful.

It looks like someone dug into the wood with a pick next to the fretboard. I did that on a cheap acoustic. I mean not by playing it. By intentionally damaging it.

I don't know much about old acoustics so I don't know if you paid too much but I'd love to have that guitar. This a guess but I don't think you paid too much.

Were the J-50 one of the nicer guitars of their time? I mean they weren't like a B-25 or an entry level Gibson guitar because if they were then I'm envious that people could get such a nice and well constructed guitar as an entry level in the 50's... This thing has tone and a tightness to it's sound that is to die for... It's really an exquisite guitar... That's why I was curious if this was one of the upper level guitars when it was made cause it's made and sounds amazing...

Also one other quick question... I got a partial serial number... I can't make out the last digit or so... It's ( U 657 5 ) Do any of you guys know if this was made in Kalamazoo or Nashville???

Archived