Gibson Brands Forums

Great post on another forum.......

vourot

My American Deluxe SSS in Olympic Pearl, brown tortoise p/g ,maple f/b just arrived a few days ago.......and it's really hard to put back into the case.

A fine, fine guitar by any standard.(i've had a Tele for a while, but this is my 1st Strat)

Then, to re-balance the cosmos, I took my wifes advice and ordered a brand new SG Std. in her.chrry..........it hasn't arrived yet, but i'm salivating!

I get the feeling that most of the customers for reliced guitars want to appear like they've played for a long time or that they're really experienced. But I'm not a shrink, so I don't know for sure.

It's like the blue jeans that they make with fake dirt on them. They're just phony. They look phony.

I look at it like this. Reliced guitars are phony. I'll bet that people who buy them are in some kind of denial thing or maybe they just like to imagine they're somebody else.

What I wonder is this. Is there an association between being full of crap and buying reliced guitars?

Actually my pref is for a wide fingerboard, thin neck and flat fingerboard. Well, mostly flat anyway. Not the radius of any Fender I've played. I think that's a hangover - uhhhh, a holdover - from starting on a classical guitar, but I'm not sure I'll ever know for sure.

Actually I even like a thin and relatively flat back of the neck as opposed to a half baseball bat type of thing.

That's also the major reason I've never cared for Fenders. Necks.

I've always liked the Tele sound, especially if I were doing country; once I was exposed to Roy Buchanan I loved how he could make the Tele work even for jazz. But I just can't handle the neck and to make it worse, apparently that's why Buchanan loved 'em. <grin>

m

Archived