Gibson Brands Forums

Loud buzz/hum ocassionally

Madness

Hey, just got a gibson, but sometimes a buzz starts to build up (hum or whatever you wanna call it, not a high frequency feedback!), starts to build up, and this seems to happen mostly when switching around pickups, and then if i flip the switch up down several or few times it just dissapears and then its wholly quiet. Is it supposed to be like this? Doesnt seem like the amp could be the problem (cheap roland) because it happens when switching between pickups and goes away when doing it too, so its strange. What you think? This seems to be when distortion is on (not neccesarily max distortion)

Some buzz or hum is common so I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless its uncontrollable. Safe bet it's your "cheap roland" more than your guitar. A solid state amp is more susceptible to pops and buzzes especially with more gain or distortion. Try standing farther away from the amp, and roll the trebs and mids down a little and see if that helps. Another thing you can do is test your guitar through another amp, and see if you have the same results. Hope that helps.

Some buzz or hum is common so I wouldn't worry about it too much' date=' unless its uncontrollable. Safe bet it's your "cheap roland" more than your guitar. A solid state amp is more susceptible to pops and buzzes especially with more gain or distortion. Try standing farther away from the amp, and roll the trebs and mids down a little and see if that helps. Another thing you can do is test your guitar through another amp, and see if you have the same results. Hope that helps.[/quote']

Thanks. I do think its the amp, since my bro says he has the same problem with it, but if was unsure since it seemed to be caused when fiddling between the pickups. It didnt cause any problems through the ZOOM g2 multieffect with headphones, but that might be another thing? Im more concerned with the strap button (other topic) of the guitar, otherwise its good:P

Thanks. I do think its the amp' date=' since my bro says he has the same problem with it, but if was unsure since it seemed to be caused when fiddling between the pickups. It didnt cause any problems through the ZOOM g2 multieffect with headphones, but that might be another thing? Im more concerned with the strap button (other topic) of the guitar, otherwise its good:P[/quote']

Test the guitar through a couple different amps anyway, just to be on the safe side. If you're in the clear, get a kick butt tube amp.:-s/

Test the guitar through a couple different amps anyway' date=' just to be on the safe side. If you're in the clear, get a kick butt tube amp.:-s/ [/quote']

Dont really have any other amp, only the roland and a warwick 150w combo (bass amplifier) which i could run the zoom g2 or a EHX little big muff

i have a roland micro cube (125.00 list) and there is some buzz when it is on the acoustic simulator setting and ocassionally when i switch pups, which if i remember correctly didn't happen on the twin reverb @ the store when i bought it. it doesn't really bother me much though so i just let it be.

Okay, tested with other amp, same problem! So it seems that lets say i play some, with distortion, switch pickup mode and then while touching the strings i get a loud humming noise, and then even if i keep my hand on the strings so that it does the noise, and then switch mode a few times back and forth, then itll be gone, with my hand on or not, so its weird. And i tried this with the guitar lying still on the bed, same problem, and as im writing this, a buzzing noise is building up slowly.. should i take it to gibson and get it repaired? Doesnt seem normal at all.. didnt have this with my other cheaper guitar.

Madness, sorry to hear that man. Realize you can pick up static and buzz from just about any electrical source in your house, but sounds like it could be more than just noise from the amp after all. If you bought the SG at a store, take it back and ask for a tech to check it out for ya. Since you just bought it, they should not charge you for it. It's hard to tell for sure without actually seeing the problem, but maybe you do have some bad wiring in your guitar, or it's not shielded or grounded properly. Good luck and hope you get it taken care of.

Archived