Gibson Brands Forums

12 fret 14 fret

nbtel

Just curious. I only have 1 12 fret guitar and it is a 2008 NAMM Show archetype madgascar nick lucas reissue. What is the real difference between a 12 fret, 13 fret and 14 fret guitar. Please don't answer i or 2 frets. hahahahahaha

It is hard to put this list of attributes in the 12 fret column and this in the 14 fret list because there are so many variables involved in the sound that comes out of the thing such as the size of the box and bracing.

First there is no difference in feel other than your hand is obviously closer to your body.

In general though, I found the 12 fretters to be pretty punchy with a quick response but having less sustain than my 14 fret guitars. They were all pretty midrangey and I found 12 fretters just cool little guitars for playing say some Piedmont Blues and preffered them for that over my old J-200 (apologies to Rev. Davis).

But I gotta confess, not a gig went by where I was playing one of the 12 fretters that I did not find myself wishing that geetar did not have just one more fret.

1 or 2 frets (its a Koan).

Its about different bridge placement relative to the soundhole. Gives the 12s more bass and general resonance.

Just to put a slightly different perspectve on what jkinnama wrote, I would say that the tone is different beause the bridge (and bracing), having being shifted away from the soundhole because the neck meets the body at the 12th fret, is closer to the widest part of the soundboard (or top).

Red 333

In general though, I found the 12 fretters to be pretty punchy with a quick response but having less sustain than my 14 fret guitars. They were all pretty midrangey and I found 12 fretters just cool little guitars for playing say some Piedmont Blues and preffered them for that over my old J-200 (apologies to Rev. Davis).

Tonewoods may have a lot to do with this, too, relative to how a 12-fretter reponds to a 14-fret guitar of the same construction. I have a cedar-topped 12-fret guitar, and it sustains for days. The other thing to keep in mind is that lots of old 12-fretters were ladder braced, so they are naturally going to respon differently than a 12-fet x-braced guitar.

Red 333

Archived