Gibson Brands Forums

Custom Ray whitley

nbtel

Pretty guitar. This limited edition became a production model as the SJ200 PreWar Western Classic. No scrimshaw in the fingerboard inlays, Indian instead of Brazilian rosewood, Waverly butterbean machines instead of Imperials and less bling on the headstock. Indeed it is a heck of a price for what it is.......serves to show just how much value guitars lose in the short run. Let another 30 years go by and it might be back up into the 5-figures price range.

She certainly is a buyers market. ... I know money is tight but this is a steal for this guitar.

Actually, I don't think this represents a sharp decline over three years ago. There were a couple on the market then. Intermountain had one that was NOS, and they were asking $10K. Eric Schoenberg got one in on consignment and was asking about the same. Of course, one expects to pay a little more buying from a reputable dealer as opposed to an eBay seller. Given that, I don't see this BIN of $8K as representing a significant decline when compared to pre-recession prices. (The difference is that both of those sold. This one, ... I guess we'll see.)

Now the $2650 J-45 Legend, that was a world-class bargain!

-- Bob R

So, uhhh... Bob, when are you expecting delivery?? [laugh]

Fred,

Even I can't come up with a good reason why I need two J-45 Legends. But maybe if I just try a little harder, ...

-- Bob R

Hi Guys,

Thanks so much for discussing my Gibson Ray Whitley #16. I decided to pull it off ebay and just sell it directly through my Staten Island NY business Gothic City Guitars website. You can see the guitar there as well as other used Custom Shop and Vintage Gibsons and Fenders. The Ray Whitley #16 is a beautiful Gibson SJ-200. I sold Ray Whitley #2 about a year ago and that one was spectacular with a Red Spruce top as well as the Brazilian RW back & Sides.

I'll be adding a 1939 Martin D-28 on the website next week. I have a 1998 Gibson Custom Order Brazilian Rosewood J-200 thats having the bridge reglued. This will be up for sale as soon as it comes back from my techs shop.

Anyway thanks again for all the interest in my Gibson Ray Whitley #16.

All the best,

Charlie

Archived