Gibson Brands Forums

DOT Replacement pots

G McBride

I picked up a Dot a month back and notice that the selector switch feels cheap and is noisy. I am assuming that the volume and tone pots should also be replaced. Suggestions on where to pick up the correct replacement parts for an upgrade. Thanks, I am sure this had been discussed prior to this thread but didn't find the answers. I want to get mine upgraded as quickly as I can. I am thinking as common of a problem as this seems to be there will be a Kit to upgrade the controls offered.

Pots - CTS 500K Audio/Log taper (you'll need USA knobs)

Switch & Jack - Switchcraft

Caps - Orange Drop .022

The above list would probably be the most commonly recommended. The CTS pots have a bigger shaft than stock, so the holes in the top of the guitars (potholes?) must be reamed out a bit. The individual parts can be gotten for as little as $30-40; pre-wired assemblies can be over $100. AllParts, Stewart Macdonald, and other online retailers carry this stuff in stock. And here's a link to a handy how-to video:

http://www.mojotone.com/iMojo-Videos/Installing-a-Mojotone-335-Assembly

Good advise above.

If you're gonna do the harness yourself, not that hard and cheaper, make sure you get the Swwitchcraft 1/4" jack with the long shaft. I know this from experience. Getting the harness in the first time is hard enough, you don't want to have to do it twice.

FWIW - CTS pots are very good, but you will need to ream out the holes a little for them to fit. Not a big deal. I bought a small round file at Aco for $2. I don't remember, but I think I had to ream out the hole for the Switchcraft switch too.

If you want to use the same knobs, Stewmac sells Alpha pots that are an upgrade from what are in your Dot and you can use the same knobs. You won't need to ream out the holes either. Personally I don't care for the amber knobs and changed mine to black top hats with chrome centers.

CTS pots have fine splines (for USA knobs)

Alpha pots have course splines (for Asian knobs)

Archived