Gibson Brands Forums

Help me identify Czech Les Paul Pickups, please.

Motherf67

Hello,i need help identifying some pickups in a Czech made(Bohemia Musico-Delica)Les paul. The only stamp on them is an "X" on the back, and they are full of wax.

The guitar was prodused 10-15years ago for the Scandinavian marked only, and i recall that the ad from Luthman, the Scandinavian importer who custom-ordered the guitar, said Schaller hardware, but i'm not shure about the pups. A reviewer at The harmony central says".....and I beleive they are Schaller's Classic 57.....", but i can't seem to find any info on something called "Schaller Classic 57" anywere.

Any ideas?

Here's some pic's....

Thanks....

Unfortunately I can't help with your question. But SOMEbody had to make the obvious joke about adjusting the Pole pieces on a Czech pickup. ](*,) Oops, that might make eome people lose their appetite so they're not Hungary anymore. Not that I'd Russia into a reponse or anything ...

Remember, as Bob Dylan once sang: "They'll Estonia when you try to be so good ..."

Unfortunately I can't help with your question. But SOMEbody had to make the obvious joke about adjusting the Pole pieces on a Czech pickup. ](*,) Oops, that might make eome people lose their appetite so they're not Hungary anymore. Not that I'd Russia into a reponse or anything ...

Remember, as Bob Dylan once sang: "They'll Estonia when you try to be so good ..."

Off course...[lol]

Schaller is a high profile manufacturer of guitar parts. If it was made by them it would have stamped with their logo like the other stuff they produce.

These pickups look very budget to me.

Well :-k , maybe, but they sounds very good compared to a regular Epi. The thing is that this guitar is a pretty rare high-end Epi, so it would seem strange to put some cheap bastards in it.

If you read the reviews at HarmonyCentral, you will see that all of them talk's about the Schaller hardware, but there is no information on the specific type of pups. Maybe it's some kind of Oem-pups without logo?

Is'nt the waxing some sign of quality? There's even wax in the screw-heads, which i've never seen before.

It's a pickup....it's wire and magnets. Do they sound any good? If so hang on to them and be proud to own some cool mystery pickups. If not replace them and you'll know exactly what you're playing. (I guess you could always Czech with Schaller hehe.)

No plans on replacing the pickups, they sounds great, and the guitar is a keeper. Compared to an Elite is this the winner [cool] .....infact, i'm going to buy(back)another one of these guitars soon. I sold it years ago to a guy who doesn't use it, so...

More pic's...

Guitar Info:

Serial number unrecognized

Bohemia Musico-Delica Plant

"Not much is known about this factory, guitars made here are only sold in Europe. However, the production quality at this factory is said to be superior to its Chinese and Korean counterparts."

www.guitardaterproject.org

P.s. All the plastic used to be cream before i sprayed them #-o....

The thing is that this guitar is a pretty rare high-end Epi, so it would seem strange to put some cheap bastards in it.

If you read the reviews at HarmonyCentral, you will see that all of them talk's about the Schaller hardware, but there is no information on the specific type of pups. Maybe it's some kind of Oem-pups without logo?

Is'nt the waxing some sign of quality? There's even wax in the screw-heads, which i've never seen before.

A "rare high-end Epi" is kinda subjective here. Strictly speaking Epi LPs are LPs on a budget. I suppose it's "rare" to find a "Bohemia" made Epi, which as you allready mentioned were strictly Europan market. According to the reports the workmanship is supposed to be pretty good compared to the average Asian Epi. As it is I've never even heard of a "Epiphone LP Heritage", so I won't speculate on its existance and quality any further.

Yes, I think it's very likely to be an OEM pickup of some sort... O:)

Wax is not an indication of quality, unless you talk ancient cheapies. It's a manufacturer choice, depending on whether they're shooting for vintage or modern tone.

Gibson started waxpotting somewhere in '75 if I remember correct, but their Burstbuckers(1,2,3) are not waxpotted in an effort to recapture the old PAF tones...

A "rare high-end Epi" is kinda subjective here. Strictly speaking Epi LPs are LPs on a budget. I suppose it's "rare" to find a "Bohemia" made Epi, which as you allready mentioned were strictly Europan market. According to the reports the workmanship is supposed to be pretty good compared to the average Asian Epi. As it is I've never even heard of a "Epiphone LP Heritage", so I won't speculate on its existance and quality any further.

Yes, I think it's very likely to be an OEM pickup of some sort... O:)

Wax is not an indication of quality, unless you talk ancient cheapies. It's a manufacturer choice, depending on whether they're shooting for vintage or modern tone.

Gibson started waxpotting somewhere in '75 if I remember correct, but their Burstbuckers(1,2,3) are not waxpotted in an effort to recapture the old PAF tones...

Thank's for your follow-ups.

"The Heritage" was not for the European marked, but the Scandinavian market only, and it took a while before customers became aware of it around here. When the word got out, the model was long gone. Even the retailers didn't knew much about it when they sold it.

There are some other models for Europe, but these are "regular" Czech-Epi's like black LP's and SG's. The Heritage was ordered by the Scandinavian distributor with custom-specs, and came in honeyburst&cherry sunburst only(strange paint, almost like thin glass). The price in 1999 was 7999.-NOK for The Heritage, 5999.- for eastern customs and blackies, and 4999.- for the standard. The elite-models was'nt available at that time(in Norway?).

I have done some searching at Swedish sites, and every description of the guitar says Schaller hardware and pickups. One stated that the pup's is a crossing between a Schaller Golden 50 and Gibson burstbuckers. The reason the Guitardater doesn't reveal much is probably because the serial from Heritages does'nt match any other Chez models....it misses a number, and when i put in one ekstra, it tells me it was made in 2006....totally wrong.

Schaller haven't returned my mail yet, and a phonecall to Luthman in Sweden was useless. Next is to get hold of a 10-12year old Luthman-catalog, and that task was not impossible according to a local dealer...he was shure that it was in his "collection" somewere. I will know more Friday night.

Cheers..

Update: It seems like Epiphone did'nt have much to do with this guitar other than licens the brand name.

I found this at a Finnish website..

"Epiphone The Heritage"

Handcrafted (in Czechkoslovakia)

Body material: Solid european mahogany (the guitar is very heavy)

Top material: European flame maple

Neck material: European mahogany

Fingerboard: Rosewood

Hardware: Chrome Schaller

Pickup: 2 x Schaller humbuckers (chrome)

Archived