Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone S-400

strykemtn

Recently found a very inexpensive S-400 Pearl White in beautiful shape. Locking nut missing and Epiphone Bennder bridge missing trem block and other parts. Can't find a diagram. Very little info and few pictures of these s-series guitars. Serial # indicates made in 1988. Is there a trem bridge that is a replacement for the "Bennder". Don't want to modify the body. Would like to keep it original, but that might be impossible. Any help or hints appreciated. Tried posting pic, resized to less than 500k, no luck. 3rd time typing this. Obviously a newbie. Thanks

wilkinson also make a whole load of different bridges in different sizes to fit loads of different guitars.

My link

Which ever bridge he decides to put on the guitar, he will most likely have to either drill holes or bore the existing ones. The bridge screws on a Bennder tremolo are basically just wood screws with modified heads for pivoting the trem. There is no route or post seat or anything like that. Its just a small pilot hole with what amounts to little more than a wood screw.

The nice thing is that the screw/post holes are just about wide enough to retro fit a Floyd by eye. Almost...

With a little measurement you will have to bore the existing post holes slightly wider than they are. Basically you want the centers to be about 2mm further apart. If you are ballsy enough, you can just set the drill to the outside edge of each hole and drill. But I dont neccessarily recommend this method...

If you cant find a used Bennder bridge somewhere, your easiest option is to bore out the bridge post holes and install an aftermarket Floyd Rose. You also have to widen the route a little to fit the Floyd tremolo arm.

I put a Floyd Rose Lic. Fast Loader on my S-500. It takes the hassel out of changing the strings.

You wouldn't still happen to have the old Bennder you replaced would you?

You wouldn't still happen to have the old Bennder you replaced would you?

Sorry, no. I gave it to the last guy that inquired about these trems. And the last time I saw one for sale was at a local used guitar store. It was on a Series-10 strat and I wasnt about to dish out $100 just to fix my trem. But on the plus side, they put these bridges on quite a few different brands during the 80's and early 90's, so keep your eyes peeled for cheap strat knock-offs. You might find one if you look enough and are willing to pay for a whole guitar.

Sorry, no. I gave it to the last guy that inquired about these trems. And the last time I saw one for sale was at a local used guitar store. It was on a Series-10 strat and I wasnt about to dish out $100 just to fix my trem. But on the plus side, they put these bridges on quite a few different brands during the 80's and early 90's, so keep your eyes peeled for cheap strat knock-offs. You might find one if you look enough and are willing to pay for a whole guitar.

LOL, get the parts you need, and get a whole new project guitar too, ...sounds like a good idea to me.

Ok thanks anyway man.

Its a brutal choice. Buy another guitar just for this crappy bridge or preform some body surgery and buy a new floyd.

The Bennder was also known as a "Bendmaster FT" when it was sold on Westone guitars (Matsumoku made) those are getting expensive. There was also a "Bendmaster Deluxe" which looks a lot more like a traditional floyd I wonder if it had the same odd post spacing and maybe the same route.

Archived