Gibson Brands Forums

Is this normal?

Andre S

I haven't played through the high-gain input of my Fender Champion 600 for a couple of months. When I plugged in today I got scratchy-hissy noises when I played.

Then after 5 minutes it cleared up.

Is that common? Did dust or something get in? Or will I need to change the input?

BTW a couple of months ago I posted that I did not get overdriven tones from it at all. Today I got the best overdriven tones ever, not too much and not too little, just perfect.

Hmmm The thing is, when I first got the amp both inputs were clean, no hiss.....oh well.....its still a great little amp. I absolutely love it.

Right now I am still using the original tubes and everything, but today I was looking for a new speaker out of curiosity. The stock one sounds fine but I'd like to see how a different speaker would affect tone.

Later today I'll see if I can manage to fit an 8inch speaker in the chassis. I have one from my Line 6 Spider 3 that I don't use and there is no problem to pull it out and check the fit.

I have seen people who have put in an 8 inch speaker.

The first thing I'd eliminate is corrosion on the contacts. If you haven't used it in a while, there is a good chance a bit of corrosion settled in.

I'd clean the tube pins and the phone jack with Caig DeOxit (available at Radio Shack and many electronics parts houses). It is the best contact cleaner I've ever found.

If that works, put a little Caig Pro Gold on the same contacts, as it inhibits further corrosion.

If that doesn't work, go to plan B.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

I just checked and I have a 12ax7 made in Russia. I couldn't see the brand. Maybe its a good one. The 6v6gt is chinese.

Ok.. that's the same as what I have. I was mostly curious if you had swapped them out, and if so, which ones and what you thought of them.

I read a lot of posts claiming that replacing that chinese 6v6 makes a world of difference.. but I'm not sure what to believe. [unsure]

At any rate, it's a cool little amp. I really like it for what it is.

Ok.. that's the same as what I have. I was mostly curious if you had swapped them out, and if so, which ones and what you thought of them.

I read a lot of posts claiming that replacing that chinese 6v6 makes a world of difference.. but I'm not sure what to believe. [unsure]

At any rate, it's a cool little amp. I really like it for what it is.

Yea

And with the high gain input on 12 with guitar volume right up really rocks.

Its a little harsh though.....adding some reverb and delay would smooth it out.

Do they make a plastic or rubber plug to cover/fill the female jacks on an amplifier? Might not be a bad idea to keep dust, cigarette smoke, pet and people dander and the like out of a seldom used port.

^^^

Dunno if they do.....but its no problem if they don't.

Cut a part of a plastic bag, and secure it around the input with a rubberband. Neaten it up a bit. Done and done.

I should have thought of that earlier.

Archived