Gibson Brands Forums

Installing Gibson Vintage Tuners-Need Help

johntrem

Purchased a set (on ebay) of Gibson Vintage Tuning Machines RM1218-NG (Keystone style) to replace those on my Samick SG. It appears that the hole in the peghead may have to be increased in size but I 'm not sure yet as I haven't been able to try. The tuners are in one piece. The pegs appear screwed in the rear part of the tuner. There is a washer and nut on the tuner peg. I thought that the peg would unscrew from the back portion in order to fit the the hole in the pegboard. It doesn't move. So now I'm perplexed. As I stated, purchased from ebay and although they are new there was no packaging or instructions. Can anyone help? Thanks.

JT, I'm confused. Are you having trouble removing the old tuners from the headstock? You need to use a small adjustable, box, or socket wrench to remove the nut and washer on the front. Then remove the screw(s) on the back with a small phillips-head screwdriver. The old tuners should come right out. If not you may to tap them a little. (Not too much!)

If you need to enlarge the holes, you might want to pick up a hand reamer, they run $15-20 at hardware stores or you can order from Amazon for $10: http://www.amazon.com/Westward-3CYP2-Hand-Reamer-Countersink/dp/B001QRMXTC

Purchased a set (on ebay) of Gibson Vintage Tuning Machines RM1218-NG (Keystone style) to replace those on my Samick SG. It appears that the hole in the peghead may have to be increased in size but I 'm not sure yet as I haven't been able to try. The tuners are in one piece. The pegs appear screwed in the rear part of the tuner. There is a washer and nut on the tuner peg. I thought that the peg would unscrew from the back portion in order to fit the the hole in the pegboard. It doesn't move. So now I'm perplexed. As I stated, purchased from ebay and although they are new there was no packaging or instructions. Can anyone help? Thanks.

FAST EDIT: Like brianh, I'm not understanding totally. Is it that you can't remove the

OLD Tuners, or not sure about install of NEW Tuners??????

JT - I highlighted the above in your quote. The NUT should just unscrew fron the "top"

and then come off, allowing you to remove washer, too. Once inserted in Headstock, slip

washer back on, the screw nut back on. ME CONFUSED!

Do your tuners look like this?: (I have 2 sets of "Gibson Deluxe" Tuners on my LPs)

BcTKmDwBGkKGrHqYH-EIEqusW0BKz4bpqcy.jpg

100_0468-1.jpg

Brian and Animal, thanks for the replies. Yes, I have the old tuners off. It was unscrewing the nut that had me confused. Now that you've explained it I shouldn't have a problem other than possibly reaming the hole to enlarge it. I will probably have to tap out the bushings from the old tuners. Thanks, guys.

Animal, picked up a reamer tonight from Sears Hardware(plug) and they're in. Plugged her in to tune her up and I swear the guitar is louder. Seems to be more clarity in the tone, also. I knew that sometimes such things happen, I was just trying to improve the guitars ability to stay in tune. Unexpected improvements. And yes Brian, they are the same Gibson Vintage that you posted. Anyone have any comment on what I perceive as an improvement in tone?

...and I swear the guitar is louder. Seems to be more clarity in the tone, also.

I knew that sometimes such things happen! [scared][scared][scared]

Anyone have any comment on what I perceive as an improvement in tone?

Sounds like simple Mechanics/Physics to me:

1. Your ORIGINAL Tuners were held onto bottom of Headstock by screw(s),

then the shaft passed upwards thru a BUSHING in order to keep it Vertical.

The only purpose of the screw(s) was to keep Tuner Body from rotating, and

from falling out when string removed. The Bushing didn't "anchor" squat to the

Headstock, just made shaft vertical and "free-floating".

2. NEW TUNERS: Has two screws to keep Tuner body from rotating/falling out, BUT

NOW the Threaded Bushing on Top has allowed you to Mechanically tighten the Tuner

onto the Headstock, literally making it part of the Guitar. No more "Free-Floating",

that sucker is now ANCHORED DOWN.

Think of the OTHER end of the strings - The TAILPIECE. A good, solid, well "anchored"

Tailpiece improves Tonal Response. A poorly anchored/wobbly Tailpiece will result in

tonal charactistics resembling the doo-doo of the Dog. Yes?

You now have a GOOD "Anchor" on BOTH ends of the Strings! [thumbup][thumbup][thumbup]

(BTW, bet your git is easier to Intonate now!)

Sorry Animal, you posted the photos. My error. Thanks for your help.

That's OK - Doesn't matter who posted the pics, we steal (errr... BORROW) each other's

stuff if useful all the time! After all, we're the "Friendly Forum"!

The ID mistake is understandable, as you can see by our "Avatars" brianh and I look

a lot alike, I'm just the one with the "prettier HAIR"... [thumbup]

brianh: av-20460.jpg

animalfarm: av-15317.jpg

Animal, did some more experimental playing this morning with the Samick SG w/Gibson tuners. Geez, what a change. I A/B'd it with my '04 Epi Les Paul Standard with Grovers and I swear the SG is twice as loud as the Les Paul now.More clarity and sustain. Prior to the tuner switch, the SG was a little grittier sounding than the Les Paul. The Les Paul was more polite sounding, but now the difference is quite stark. The SG is a '96 Artist Series Edition. I had always given some thought to switching out the pickups, only because they are stock and everyone switches out the stock pups, but the SG seems much more "alive" now. I doubt if I'll do the switch.

I had hand surgery on my left hand five months ago (replacement of thumb basal joint) and am only now beginning to be able to start to play again as I am having a slow recovery. The SG is the kindest of my guitars to my healing hand and having it sound and feel like a different guitar is a nice bonus.

By the way, I had the same hair as your canine friend in my '69 high school senior picture. Thankfully, I still have hair, only its a bit thinner and grayer.

more mass = more ststain and more volume. all you had before was a tuner in a bushing. the newer ones most likely solidly contact the wood all the way through the headstock transfering more sound back through the wood.. same thing from the other end when i added a lyre vibrato to my sg.

Archived