Gibson Brands Forums

Suggest a Cap To Brighten Up Neck Pup?

Bones

Hi,

Bought an Epiphone Les Paul plan top a few weeks ago and while I really like it and am happy with the quality and playablity, I find the neck pup is just too dark and muddy I would like to try a simple/cheap fix first before buying new pups. Any suggestions for a tone cap to help this issue out?

Thanks

Bones,

Welcome to the forum.

Congrats on the new guitar.

Try changing the cap to a lower value. Stock caps are .022

Try changing to a .015

Others will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the lower the number the less high end that is sent to ground.

By the way, have you tried adjusting the pickup height?

After that, next step is going with better pots. This is usually done before resorting to changing pickups.

Caps are usually only a couple of bucks.

Pots are not that much more.

The type of amp you are playing through can also have as much effect as the pickups.

Willy

The cap doesn't do anything in the circuit when the pot is at 10. So cap changing doesn't help make a pup brighter or darker for that matter.

When you start loading the circuit ( pot on say 7-8) then the cap comes into play, dumping highs to ground. The LARGER the value the darker/faster the guitar tone will get

Pickup height is a good suggestion. Raising it may help, and have the treble side about 1/8" higher than the bass side, that makes a difference too.

Try to have your volume on 10 all the time and use the amp to lower it. If you turn your GUITAR volume down you will lose some highs, as the high freqs get dumped first.

You may want to look into the 50's mod as well.

have to disagree with you on that one. it made a big dif. in my 56 gold top i had a 47 in there why ask epiphone i put in a 33 bingo!!!

what ever the cap put in a lesser one lesser value brighter greater value darker. you can get a package of them at radio shack with all kinds of values and try different ones to get what you want. lesser brighter gerater darker works on every guitar i ever owned. and im always at 10. [thumbup]

Archived