Gibson Brands Forums

Same old question: Studio or Standard?

mwluvguitars

I have a Black with Chrome Studio and I love the guitar. I do not have a Standard so I can't compare for you. For the money the Studio is a great buy.

Cheers G, I probably will go with the Studio, but just want to check to see if the Standard is worth the money or not.

Keep sending your replies everyone.

It depends on which studio you are talking about.. the faded versions that are all mahognay or a regular studio with a maple top.

The regular studio is closer to a standard minus a number of things like binding (so you're not paying for the trim level of a standard)

for a faded module you're getting it at a lower price since it doesn't have the maple cap like other Les Paul's

are you ordering it online or are you gonna go to a guitar store and pick it up yourself?

I'd advice you to go and choose the one you want, if you can.

I will be going to a shop to try out a Fender Tele, a Studio and probably a PRS Custom 22 for the sake out of it.

It depends on which studio you are talking about.. the faded versions that are all mahognay or a regular studio with a maple top.

The regular studio is closer to a standard minus a number of things like binding (so you're not paying for the trim level of a standard)

for a faded module you're getting it at a lower price since it doesn't have the maple cap like other Les Paul's

I am talking about the non-faded Studio.

I will be going to a shop to try out a Fender Tele, a Studio...

In that case I would go for the Tele - an American Standard I hope - at <$900, gotta be one of the best values out there! NOT that the Studios aren't OK, but a Tele is great, and then you can get a Traditional or Standard next.

jmg257 nailed it about the Les Pauls. The Traditional Plus Les Pauls are awesome, are cheaper than the Standards, sound and play better, and the '57 pick-ups are great. The faded Studios are very good guitars as well, and a bargin at 799.00, but you said that you would go for the 'premium's, which add many hundereds to the cost; so why do that when you can get a new Traditional Plus and be happy forever. Make sure where you purchace that they price match Musician's Friend or other retailer's lowest price. I bought a MIM tele new for, I think $399.00, and it's a fine tele. My opinion is they are as good as American Standard Teles, but I suppose buying American Teles is better for our economy. I have a bunch of nice Epi Les Pauls, but an Epi is an Epi and a Gibby is a Gibby; and Gibbys rule. Hope this helps.[thumbup] :unsure: eusa_pray.gif

Hi there folks,

I am 14 and I am thinking about buying a Les Paul Studio. However, I come to the question is the standard worth the extra money?

Send in your opinions plz.

Matt.

sound is MORE important than looks...having said that...DON'T get a chambered LP...get a "weight relieved" as it will sound as a LP SHOULD. I hated my chambered Studio....love my heavy Traditional. My 15 yr old has a LP Studio Deluxe that is weight relieved and it rocks...new cost him $1400...sounds as good as my $2600 lefty Traditional. He tried out many guitars and picked the one that sounded best. You should play various guitars too...pick the one that 'resonates' with you.

I've been playing for 45 years. Personally, I would not purchase a guitar I haven't played. I think it's a big mistake to purchase guitars over the Internet - so you save a couple bucks.. who's gonna set it up for you? Who's gonna have your back? Nope- I want to play the guitar I'm buying - and through both my amp and a variety of other ones. You should be able to find a players' shop where they have a couple LPs you can compare/contrast. To me - the studio is a totally different instrument than the other LPs. It's a slab, more like an SG. Totally different axe. Very little trim/embellishment. Nothing wrong with that - but to me it's not the classic heavy, solid "Les Paul" feel at all. I like them, but probably not as my primary axe. Of course they're a lot less expensive. I'd probably look for a gently used standard vs. a brand new Studio.

PS - When I was your age exactly- I saved $800 working all summer for $2/hr (this was the '70s) Then, $800 in hand, I had my aunt and mother drive me 125 miles one way to the House of Guitars in Rochester NY so I could play and pick out an ES-335. They had half a dozen in-stock, and I played them all. They ALL sounded a little different and ALL felt a little different. I picked out the one I liked the best and that was that - never looked back. If I had done the mail-order route (which was possible even back then - not online of course, but H.O.G. was glad to ship stuff just like today... I would never have been able to compare how they all sounded and felt and would have always wondered if I got the best one for my hard-earned money.

Standards are beautiful no doubt about that, I am not really into all the bells and whistles. I have a couple of studios, hand picked from playing never bought a guitar mail order. never will. Both of these studios are extremely heavy, and sound just like a meaty LP should, I had a chambered LP BFG for about two days, had to unload that piece of crap. (not many to try out maybe that was the problem)

Anyway: Test,Test,Test find one that feels and sounds good to YOU.

Archived