Gibson Brands Forums

A string recommendation....

dhanners623

Just strung up my J-45 with a set of Red mediums (13-56) and boy howdy, I LIKE these strings. A month or so ago, I tried a set of Reds on my square-shoulder dread (a kit-built guitar with D-18 specs) and fell in love with them on that guitar, but hadn't tried them on the '45 until today.

I normally string the J-45 with D'Addario EJ-17s, but I'm sold on the Reds. For those unfamiliar with them, their selling point is that they have the highest copper content of any strings out there, and that translates into, as the company claims, "precise articulation, a louder sound, greater projection and a warmer, richer tone from the moment you tune 'em up." (I've always felt the "precise articulation" part was up to the player, but I have to attest that, at least on the two guitars I've put them on, the claims seem true.)

They seemed to make the dread -- which was a cannon to begin with -- noticeably louder. The J-45 might be a bit louder, but the volume increase isn't as great as the other guitar. The J-45, however, sounds warmer and, yes, more articulate, with the Reds than with the EJ-17s. And I like the tone.)

Anyway, if you're looking to try something new and different, give Reds a try. If you can find them, that is. I ordered mine through Elderly because the only store that carried them locally was Guitar Center, and they only carried the lights (12-53). I have since checked Red's website and they say the Podium, one of the local shops in Minneapolis, carries them.

Just one guy's opinion, and I'm not a paid spokesman for Red Strings....

Hey, David........don't see you 'round these parts much anymore......

I've tried those Reds. On the old SJ200 I no longer have, and on the CJ-165 I now flail away at. For me they were too bright and zingy sounding on both guitars. I was actually somewhat relieved that this was the case: I wouldn't want to get stuck on a guitar string I couldn't run down to the local shop and buy off the shelf. Glad you like them, though.......different strokes for different folks!

Thanks, Buc. I was gone because I lost my password and it took the Gibson Forum people forever to get back to me, for some reason. Go figure.

I can see how some folks might be put off by the "bright and zingy" thing but the strings have just seemed warmer to me than others, at least in my experience. And I think within time, they'll be in more stores. But at least you tried them. Strings are always one of those personal-choice issues, and what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another. And on top of that, every guitar is different, so what sounds good on mine might not sound good on yours, and vice versa.

Thanks, Buc. I was gone because I lost my password and it took the Gibson Forum people forever to get back to me, for some reason. Go figure.

I can see how some folks might be put off by the "bright and zingy" thing but the strings have just seemed warmer to me than others, at least in my experience. And I think within time, they'll be in more stores. But at least you tried them. Strings are always one of those personal-choice issues, and what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another. And on top of that, every guitar is different, so what sounds good on mine might not sound good on yours, and vice versa.

..I'm going to order some the EBAY. Have you guys tried there ELIXIR type range, I think they are called CLEARTONE

From the website:-

Cleartone Acoustic Strings feature fine Phosphor Bronze for warm and bright resonance.

Cleartone Acoustic Strings may have a coating of only one micron, but it's more durable than coatings thousands of times its thickness. It won't flake off with hard playing, nor will it feel slick or slippery to your touch. Super-high tension winding over a hex-core is used to maintain tuning consistency throughout your performance. EMP Treatment is then applied to all the strings (including plain strings) to ensure longest tonal life without compromises.

Cleartone Acoustic Strings feature the finest phosphor bronze available for the warmest and brightest resonance on acoustic guitars. Super-high tension winding over a hex-core is used to maintain tuning consistency throughout performance duration.

Cleartone Coated Light Acoustic Guitar Strings Features:

* Thinnest coating ever!

* Dramatically increases string life

* Protects strings from corrosion

* Withstands hard strumming

* American made

Archived