Gibson Brands Forums

Help! Installing Bigsby B7 on LP standard

farmy87

Hello, I just got a B70 to put on my epiphone les paul standard (arch top) but the screw hole on the top on the low E side lines up with the stop bar post hole... I scoured the internet and couldn't find anyone else who ran into this problem which I found surprising. Am I doing something wrong? What should I do?

You'll probably need to fill the post hole with a short piece of dowling and drill a screw hole into it.

If you're cerrtain you will keep the B70 on the guit, you can glue the dowel in with Titebond.

If you're not sure, you can press fit it in so it can be removed later.

It would be helpful if you could post some pics...

Hello, I just got a B70 to put on my epiphone les paul standard (arch top) but the screw hole on the top on the low E side lines up with the stop bar post hole... I scoured the internet and couldn't find anyone else who ran into this problem which I found surprising. Am I doing something wrong? What should I do?

They shouldn't line up exactly. The hole on the low E-side is supposed to be a couple of mm down towards the strapbutton and slightly inwards.

The quick and easy way is to dowel the hole and proceed but... the way you lined it up now, the Bigsby will touch the tunomatic bridge on the high E side, which IMO is something you'd want to avoid. It will look cramped and leaves the strings in a very acute angle going from under the second roller to the tunomatic bridge. You'll find the Bigsby incapable of even a light shimmer without going out of tune. And a rollerbridge only helps so much...

I'd measure again and doublecheck if you did not make a mistake somewhere... and if you didn't, I'd seriously consider using a shim or some metal rings to move the whole Bigsbyunit down a couple of mm.

And yes pics would help.

farm87,

What if there was another option? One that would allow you to attach the Bigsby without changing ANYTHING on the LP. Its called a VIBRAMATE Quick Mount. There's a guy named Josh who has a "store" on ebay called HDCustom.

Check it out. I recently bought some TonePro Klusons from him . Great price and customer service. No financial interest.

—heretic

You didn't do anything wrong... that is a typical fill and drill. Yank the bushings, two dowels, a little touch up paint and you are good to go.

Archived