Gibson Brands Forums

I Can't Make A Three

Rocky4

I was a three fingered player for years until Jan, 17 '97, when I severed the tip on the end of my left index fingermsp_scared.gif.

it forced me to use my pinkie finger during rehab.

Improved my skills, that and made me watch where the hell I put my hands now too...msp_bored.gif

I can make a "3" but my problem is that it's difficult to keep my pinky close to the fretboard. It's either down on a string or sticking way out. It's makes it harder to play super fast scales or "shred".

It's been getting a little better since Matt (no longer here) showed me an exercise to do. It's too hard for me to explain, so I'll see if I can find the old link.

Edit: I found the link but when I tried to copy the address it was about a million characters long. So i just copied Matt Sears' response.

Hi Saturn

I have this for you; it was given to me from a teacher at the RCM London some years back. The two notes are fretted initially with fingers 4 and 1 slurring onto finger 2, then fingers 2 and 3 slurring onto finger 4 etc etc.

The reason it is such a good exercise for finger independence, especially with the pinky (finger 4[biggrin] ) is that it is forced to move of it's own accord and not rely on the momentum of the other fingers, or weight of the hand.

Many electric players do not pull off or hammer on properly; but instead 'flutter' and with all the gain and reverb on high, their legato sounds convincing. Granted this exercise may not sound nice to the ear, or impressive, but it does the job.

Try this on clean. I have been teaching and using it for years and I promise you twenty minutes a day with a metronome will make a huge difference. Your little finger will be flying within six months and you will develop fingers that are closer to the fret board[cool]

Trust Matt...

-------------------------------7-8--

-------------------------5-6--6----

-------------------7-8--8---------

-------------5-6--6---------------

-8----7-8--8---------------------

-5-6--6---------------------------

Exercise it by grasping a foam object then fretting it, one finger at a time. Force the pinky to work independently. Hold it's neighbors up if you have to. My pinky used to be useless for fretting, but, in time, I built up strength and individual dexterity with the pinky. Still not as good as the index, but better than it was.

But never fret. We are an adaptable species. Remember, Django Reinhardt only had two good fingers and a thumb on his fretting hand.

Archived