Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Les Paul Ultra Faded Cherry Sunburst

GSuS

Hey guys,

I have been searching around on the internet to find my next guitar, been playing a fair time and and progressed lots and want a new guitar with a higher quality then my first one

After looking at many different finishes and parts on the internet I have finally found the one for me, an Epiphone Ultra Faded Cherry Sunburst, specifically this one

http://en.euroguitar.com/guitar/epiphone/les-paul/ultra/125585.html

However I do have one question, my current guitar is top heavy when standing, which is a bit of a pain, and as this guitar has a partly hollowed body im guessing this is going to be top heavy also? Any owners of this guitar who can advise me? This particular seller is overseas from me and i've never seen one in a shop so it's hard to find out for myself

Any advice would be great guys

Thanks

I'm getting the feeling that "heavy" is relative to the individual.

I don't think that most Epi LPs are that heavy but if you feel that way the Ultra can indeed be lighter than most LPs so perhaps it is the one for you.

I think you should try it out first personally in order to really see whether its weight is an issue for you.

Les Pauls are generally heavy guitars, SGs are lighter.

Which guitar have you got so that we may have an idea on weight in order to better help you?

And where do you live?

There are places where Ultras may not be available but there are some forum members who may be able to help you as they may have seen one near your location.

The Ultra model of LP you're looking at is over 2 years old, it has been upgraded to Ultra-II which has much more features, I suggest you look for an Ultra-II, I have 2 of these and they're great guitars.

As for the balance issue, they are slightly top heavy but not overly so, a good 3" strap and you'd hardly notice it.

I own an Ultra 2 in Faded Cherry Sunburst. [see avatar]

I really like this guitar. The range of sounds you can get with it is amazing.

You can actually plug the regular humbuckers into one amp, and the Nanomag pickup into another using the 2 jacks on the guitar.

As far as it being Neck Heavy, it is not too bad. I agree with RaSTus on the 3 inch strap.

The chambered body lightens the tone, and the guitar a bit, but does not kill sustain.

The neck is slim and fast. The neck is finished in satin finish.

The "Tummy Cut" is really comfortable.

The Nanomag pickup at the base of the neck has worked flawlessly for me, but there have been reports of some people having trouble with the guitar, because of the circuit board in the control cavity.

Archived