Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Neck Damage

mikey5time

Hello all,

I've got an Epiphone Les Paul standard, purchased in January. I love the guitar. It's my first electric, very attached.

Sadly, the strap came off and I wasn't quick enough. The head struck the ground. The nut broke, and the neck has cracks running 1/3rd down the neck, from the head towards the body. I don't have pictures to post yet. The breaks look kind of bad, but the neck hasn't broken off all the way yet.

Wondering how much this would cost to repair, ballpark? It looks like the same guitar is on sale from Long & McQuade for 450 CDN.

Thanks!

It depends on what kind of finish you want. Repair only can be around $100, a refinish can coat upto $400 depending on the luthier and amount of damage. My Elitist Sheraton Cost me £250 for a top luthier to do his thing!

Thanks guys. I'll get pics up later, or maybe tomorrow worst case. It may just be easier to buy a new one. Taxes and stuff, I can replace it for around 530 CDN. I'll check with local shops and see what repair people they recommend.

Whatever you decide, invest in some strap locks. I like the Dunlops but there are a couple good brands available. Cheap insurance...

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dunlop-DualDesign-Straplok-System?sku=364008

Yeah, a few GOOD pictures of the damage will help (both sides of neck).

Your guitar may not be a "Throw away" just yet! We have threads from members

who have repaired their own git necks, and not all were professionals, just

depends on your resources and confidence. One of our "Forumites" (and SHE was not

a Luthier) went ahead and totally snapped the neck OFF to complete the break, then

re-glued/clamped, etc. She's STILL playing it!

If you should decide to go NEW (which would be understandable), then you'll

have the "damaged" Git, which could be sold as "project" to recoup some of the

cost of a new one, or you could say "what the heck" and give repairing it a go.

But, first, let's have a look at the damage.

Here's a link to a "generic" cracked neck repair, just so you can see what is

potentially involved...

"Cracked Neck Repair"

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/crack_neck.htm

Yeah, a few GOOD pictures of the damage will help (both sides of neck).

Your guitar may not be a "Throw away" just yet! We have threads from members

who have repaired their own git necks, and not all were professionals, just

depends on your resources and confidence. One of our "Forumites" (and SHE was not

a Luthier) went ahead and totally snapped the neck OFF to complete the break, then

re-glued/clamped, etc. She's STILL playing it!

If you should decide to go NEW (which would be understandable), then you'll

have the "damaged" Git, which could be sold as "project" to recoup some of the

cost of a new one, or you could say "what the heck" and give repairing it a go.

But, first, let's have a look at the damage.

Here's a link to a "generic" cracked neck repair, just so you can see what is

potentially involved...

"Cracked Neck Repair"

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/crack_neck.htm

That's great, thanks for the link!

The break on mine is weird, because it goes the otherway. The snaps travel down away from the neck, towards the body, but same theory I guess. The nut broke in half as well, so I'd have to replace that.

I'll probably keep the guitar either way, whether I can get it repaired or not. Someday I'll be able to get it repaired, or get the neck fixed.

That's great, thanks for the link!

The break on mine is weird, because it goes the otherway. The snaps travel down away from the neck,

towards the body, but same theory I guess. The nut broke in half as well, so I'd have to replace that.

I'll probably keep the guitar either way, whether I can get it repaired or not. Someday I'll be able to get it repaired, or get the neck fixed.

Correct, same theory, just different direction of crack.

Post pics whenever is convenient.

If it is too expensive to get repairs professionally, it is worth fixing yourself. I repaired a Gibson SG and my G400, both are rock solid.

I'll definately be giving it a try. My old man's good with wood working stuff, so he could sort that out. The finish is likely to be ruined tho! :P

If it were me, I'd start shopping for a new guitar (and some straplocks).

You're looking at a couple hunert bucks to get it playable agian and you can buy a new one for under $400, so as with cars if the price of repair is >/= new it's not worth it.

However, you can take the old one and part it out on Craigslist, use the parts on a used Junior, or make it a repair project.

Busted guitars are a good way to learn how to do your own repairs, a good thing to know in the long run.

If it were me, I'd start shopping for a new guitar (and some straplocks).

You're looking at a couple hunert bucks to get it playable agian and you can buy a new one for under $400, so as with cars if the price of repair is >/= new it's not worth it.

However, you can take the old one and part it out on Craigslist, use the parts on a used Junior, or make it a repair project.

Busted guitars are a good way to learn how to do your own repairs, a good thing to know in the long run.

I dropped it to the local guys today. A new one of the same model would be 455 CDN + Tax, which isn't so bad. They'll be giving me a quote in a day or two.

Archived