Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Goldtop purchase advice

jsgarry

I think you guys will have more information with this snaps.

There's really nothing more for me to know to make my decision.

Until I learned what the hell happened to the headstock, I wouldn't pay $100 for it.

Why was it OBVIOUSLY repainted?

A headstock repair that you can see hurts the value enough.

One that is covered up and hidden means trouble for sure.

Why do the tuners look slightly out of place/position?

How bad was this headstock damaged?

Are you sure that's the same guitar?

The front looks fine, the headstock looks scary as hell.

Need better pics of the front of the headstock and the entire rear of the neck and body.

Pay special attention to the neck joint at the body, and every angle of the headstock/nut area.

I have a 2008 Classic in black. What I don't see on this guitar is the aged (yellowed) fret marker's and pup switch knob. I realise that the switch could have been replaced, but the fert markers? I looked at older Classic's before I purchased mine, and they all had the aged fret marker's. And the binding's are all aged as well. The older ones I looked at had the same painted serial # as mine has, the only difference is the newer ones like mine have the stamped made in USA with the date as well. That serial# looks bogus to me. Plus the tuner's are all out line...

I have a 2008 Classic in black. What I don't see on this guitar is the aged (yellowed) fret marker's and pup switch knob.

As has been said; the aged trapezoids came along in about '95. The guitar in question is from 1992.

I have a pair of Classics - a '91 and a '95. Neither has aged inlays.

The OP's guitar also has Les Paul MODEL on the headstock confirming it's an early example.

P.

As has been said; the aged trapezoids came along in about '95. The guitar in question is from 1992.

I have a pair of Classics - a '91 and a '95. Neither has aged inlays.

The OP's guitar also has Les Paul MODEL on the headstock confirming it's an early example.

P.

My 2008 also has "Les Paul Model" on the head stock...

My 2008 also has "Les Paul Model" on the head stock...

I don't doubt it for a minute FAT BOY.

Les Paul Model on the headstock and white inlays; ABR-1 bridge; thin binding in the cutaway = early Classic.

Les Paul Model on the headstock and green inlays; Nashville bridge; wide binding in the cutaway = late Classic.

P.

I don't doubt it for a minute FAT BOY.

Les Paul Model on the headstock and white inlays; ABR-1 bridge; thin binding in the cutaway = early Classic.

Les Paul Model on the headstock and green inlays; Nashville bridge; wide binding in the cutaway = late Classic.

P.

And apparently from what I under stand both were available at the same time for a while. One was the 1960 classic and the other was the 1960 vintage classic, or aged classic? Were they discontinued in 08 or 09?

And apparently from what I under stand both were available at the same time for a while. One was the 1960 classic and the other was the 1960 vintage classic, or aged classic? Were they discontinued in 08 or 09?

The Classic range was modified quite a lot after about 1993 when the re-issue of the '1960 Standard' was introduced by Gibson's Historic Division as part of their 'Historic Collection'.

The items I mentioned earlier were just some of the changes. There are instruments which had some mix of features; my '95, for instance, still has the white inlays of the earlier instruments but it has the wider binding and 'Les Paul CLASSIC' silkscreen that were being introduced to the range at the time it was crafted.

I think the instrument you are remembering might the 'Classic Antique'? It was ostensibly part of the Classic range. I believe it had a chambered, not weight-relieved, body and single-ply binding around the headstock.

They were fine instruments. There are a few folks here that have them and rate them very highly.

As far as most sources say the '1960 Classic' line was discontinued in 2008 - a full 20 years after they were introduced.

I love both of mine.

P.

I have a 2008 Classic in black.

2008 is the year that the entire Gibson line freaked out.

There's very little continuity in ANY of the product lines at that point - it's like the seventies all over again.

I think Gibson's marketing people put all the product names on cards and played some drunkenassed board game with them.

My 2000 Classic has the wide pocket binding in the cutaway and says Classic on the headstock.

Also did not have a pickguard installed, as it is a "Classic Plus" with an upgraded Maple top.

3374897026_86071e2252_z.jpg

After it was vandalized;

4141999068_cbea020b3d_z.jpg

Archived