Gibson Brands Forums

Special GT II

Jergin01

So I bought the Epi Special GT II. Now I know it is not going to be as nice as my other guitars by the price I paid, but still there shouldn't be this much buzzing on the fretboard. The action on the 12th fret seems a tab high, and then the action near the 2nd fret is almost nonexistent. The buzzing occurs only on the low E string when playing it open or in the middle of the fretboard (12th fret). The guitar has the Tune-O-matic tremolo, but I can figure out how to raise this or lower it. Also raising it will make the action by the 12th fret ridiculously high. Should I adjust the tremolo or the truss rod?

Sorry this is my first Epi LP style, I am used to B.C. Rich.

Jergin,

Welcome to the forum.

Congrats on the new guitar. Pics please.

Not being familiar with the guitar and not having it to examine makes it all guess work on my part....However....

Lets start at the beginning.

Probably just needs a good set up. If you feel confident about doing it there are some good links in the DIY thread at the top of the Epi Lounge. This is one of several...

http://mysite.verizon.net/jazz.guitar/guitarsetup.htm#Truss%20Rod%20Adjustment

Next is the saddle height adjustment. I've yet to see a clear picture of the saddles on that particular tremolo.

Do they look like this? (In black of course)

saddle.jpg

If they do then the height adjustment is usually done with an allen wrench at the top sides of each individual saddle. (same as on a Fender)

Aside from the above, there is always the possibility of a high fret or poor nut setup. In any case you might want to have a pro look at it if you are new to setups. Best if he can check it out in front of you so you can get the hang of it.

The good news is it is probably nothing serious.

Willy

It is a basic guitar, I just wanted the LP style so I can sit and play comfortably. I have a Warbeast NJ Deluxe and you have to play standing up of the thing digs into your leg.

The saddle pic you purchased is indeed the ones on the guitar. My concern is rasing the string up from there would make the action on the 12th fret way to high.

I never actually did a set-up on any guitar, but I will give it a go and follow the instructions from the topic you posted. Thanks for the welcome!

Below is a stock pic of the guitar I have. I am doing so minor work to it to change the look of it (gold speed knows, cream rhythm/treble ring with gold letters and gold washer and nut, and a cream switch tip). The finish is a little hard to see from the pic, it is worn black. A little change from the high gloss Warbeast (also included a pic).

63060_l.jpg

DV016_Jpg_Large_516094.643_onyx.jpg

I was wondering, you said the E string buzzes when strummed open and that there isn't much clearance between the strings and frets at the nut end of the neck, can you tell WHERE the buzzing is coming from? Is it possible that the nut needs shimmed a hair to raise the strings? That would eliminate having to raise the bridge a bunch, as long as the truss rod is adjusted properly and you don't have any unseated frets etc.

I was wondering, you said the E string buzzes when strummed open and that there isn't much clearance between the strings and frets at the nut end of the neck, can you tell WHERE the buzzing is coming from? Is it possible that the nut needs shimmed a hair to raise the strings? That would eliminate having to raise the bridge a bunch, as long as the truss rod is adjusted properly and you don't have any unseated frets etc.

+1

Buzzing is occurring near the 2nd fret. It is really weird, on most of my guitars the action of the strings is pretty consistent through the fret board. On this Epi, the action by the 1st frets is really low, and the action near the 12th+ frets is high. Almost like they didn't set the guitar up.

Buzzing is occurring near the 2nd fret. It is really weird, on most of my guitars the action of the strings is pretty consistent through the fret board. On this Epi, the action by the 1st frets is really low, and the action near the 12th+ frets is high. Almost like they didn't set the guitar up.

Have you used a straight edge on top of the frets (an 18" steel rule would suffice) to check the straightness, or otherwise, of the neck. If you don't have a rule then try sighting down the side of the fretboard, look if it has a bow one way or the other.

EDIT: even before doing this check if there are any frets that seem higher than the others, if so, get a small block of soft wood, place it over the fret and lightly tap with a small hammer to seat the fret correctly. Now check for straightness.

Archived