Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 nut widths

Lefty Guy

I have a lovely lefty J-45 "Historic" which I bought new in 2005. The nut width is slightly cramped for my big fingers & I seem to remember from Gibson's website at the time it was advertised as 1 11/16ths so 1.6875ins. I note from today's website that all J-45s/SJs seem to come with 1.725ins nut width, which would suit me perfectly. I have long been gassing for the extra bling that comes with the Southern Jumbo but being a UK-based lefty would have to order one blind. Can anyone confirm that today's nut widths are indeed a little more generous than back in 2005?

Maybe nobody knows – you could contact Gibson Europe Customer Service.You'll meet a Boris Franz or a Stijn Vergeest. Very generous people :

Service Europe <Service.Europe@gibson.com>

(My guess would be that it's slightly broader now - think I read it somewhere)

I seem to remember from Gibson's website at the time it was advertised as 1 11/16ths so 1.6875ins

my 2003 Gibson catalog shows ALL nut widths being 1 23/32 except DIF custom, @ 1 9/16

If I remember correctly soon after they changed that 1 23/32 to 1.725, which is a bit bigger than 1 23/32 , ( 1.718 )

I had a 2004 J45 , it was 1.725 ...........

When I was roadtesting a few Gibby dreads some months back they all seemed to have the 1.725 nit width. This is the width on the SWD that came home with me and have to say it feels just right. Any wider and it would be too much for a strummer like me.

I have the same problem as I am also a UK lefty with big fingers. If it is of any help I ordered an SJ 45 in 2006 with a 1 3/4 nut width…. so you can have wider one if you want too. It was about a 6 month wait ( which is good in my experience).

I have the same problem as I am also a UK lefty with big fingers. If it is of any help I ordered an SJ 45 in 2006 with a 1 3/4 nut width…. so you can have wider one if you want too. It was about a 6 month wait ( which is good in my experience).

Where do you live? Would be cool to meet up & play each others acoustics! I live between Winchester & Southampton but work in London.

Archived