Gibson Brands Forums

Queen - Son and Daughter (Rainbow March, 1974)

Twiz

I'm only 30 but I've been listening to Queen since 1991, right before Freddy died. They were my first musical influence. Then it was Yes. I had about eight albums on cassette of Queen. Man I love them!

I'm only 30 but I've been listening to Queen since 1991, right before Freddy died. They were my first musical influence. Then it was Yes. I had about eight albums on cassette of Queen. Man I love them!

Hats off to you AJ. I also listened to my first Queen album in 91 and haven't looked back. Zeppelin, The Beatles, Floyd are often mentioned when discussing legendary British bands, but i think Queen deserve to be shoulder to shoulder up there with the best of them.

Matt

I agree; Queen are one of the very best groups Britain has ever produced.

I've always been a Brian May fan since I first heard them on the radio playing "Seven Seas of Rye". That would be about the same time that the clip was recorded.

They then had an "Old Grey Whistle Test" Television Special; One hour of them in concert. Marvellous stuff.

I still don't understand the way BM constructs his phrasing - that's just one thing that formal training would help (I'm pretty sure Matt 'gets' his way of thinking).

I think I'm correct in saying he was a trained pianist and thinks out parts as if he were playing on a keyboard rather than a guitar-neck.

John Deacon is a great bassist into the bargain.

What's not to like?

P.

P.S. Love the snap in the sig, Matt! I really wish I could have been able to attend the 'Paul-fest' myself...

Without wanting to play "Top Trumps", I was there!!!!

At least, I went to The Rainbow in '74 and saw them (so I'm assuming it's the same show, but can't remember if it was March).

It was my first gig - my brother was in Uni in London at the time and I went with him.

I just remember being blown away by them - and still regularly listen to their first 3 albums (less often A Night At The Opera).

I agree with the rave posts

Matt Bellamy seems to have picked up the torch and moved it on with Muse

V

:-({|=

He does doesn't he!! (Matt Belamy)

I love the period we are in now! There is not only so much great folk and blues stuff hitting the mainstream, but also some really exciting bands (like Muse!)

In the Darkness (and even Mika I (sp?) ) I heard lots of the fun side of Queen, where as with Muse I can hear the serious epic side of Queen! msp_biggrin.gif They also have lots of Radiohead and Pink Floyd moments to my ears too. An interesting mix...

And ahhh Radiohead, another great British band - As someone from scandinavia wrote recently in Guitar Techniques

"it must be something in the water" msp_thumbup.gif

Matt

Archived